In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

fired casing?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Why do some mfgers put a fired casing in the package with a new handgun?

Comments

• blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This fired case is the proofing cartridge. All firearms are suppose to be test fired for functionality and safty.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    SOME STATES (MASS.) REQUIRE A FIRED CASING TO REGISTER THE GUN
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackmesarifleco
    This fired case is the proofing cartridge. All firearms are suppose to be test fired for functionality and safty.

That is not correct.

CP
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not for proofing, its a legal requirement in certain states (eg MD) that they keep a fired case on record along with their record of registration for the gun..

So when you buy the gun, the FFL is supposed to send the fired case to the State to keep on file in case they want to match to the gun, later for investigative purposes.

MA, by the way, is NOT one of these States.

MA may have stupid gun control, but I think its savvy enough to know that storing up fired cases from new guns is a gigantic waste of time and money.

It can be extremely difficult to impossible to match a case to a gun under the best circumstances, and with new guns, the marks they'll leave on a case will change with cleaning and repeated firing.

The number of times where spent shells held by the State has meaningfully contributed to a criminal conviction is negligible, amounting to at most a few times total in the history of the multiple states that do this, at a cost of literally millions of dollars:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/lott200502040751.asp
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a High Standard 1911, .45acp two weeks ago. It came with a fired casing in a sealed envelope, serialed numbered to the gun by the tester. It is a .357magnum casing. Go figure.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This shows just how effective this STUPID LAW is. [:D] [:D] [:D]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clays
    Bought a High Standard 1911, .45acp two weeks ago. It came with a fired casing in a sealed envelope, serialed numbered to the gun by the tester. It is a .357magnum casing. Go figure.

Send the gun back and demand the correct gun! [;)]

coonan2ei0.jpg

OK, seriously, for a thought experiment, lets say by mistake in a moment of dyslexia the manufacturer accidentally dropped a case from gun #14567 into envelope #14576. Same make, model, and caliber, but wrong gun.

There would be NO WAY the buyer or FFL could possibly know that the factory made this error (well, short of doing their own ballistic testing. . .and even THAT isn't reliable). The factory obviously wouldn't know. Receiving a mismatched case, there would also be no way the State could know this was wrong.

In short, lacking the same sort of (supposedly) meticulous chain-of-evidence documentation that usually accompanies forensic evidence, this whole case-linking thing is largely a charade. You'd think given the literal bankruptcy of the States of CA, NY, and MD, they might reconsider the millions of dollars wasted on this nonsense. . .but no. . .there are important public sector sinecures to be offered up.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked up an S&W revolver with one casing. I guess I'll just have to make sure I only use the other four cylinders when commiting a crime.
  • blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im sorry I didnt get into the detail that others did, yet still it is a proofing case. They proof it and throw it in. Handguns are not the only firearms that the cases come with. I have recieved a model 70 winchester with a proofing case in the box yet wasnt fired from this particular rifle as the firing pin hole had never been drilled in the bolt. Here is a link for the same discussion on yahoo -
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080830083308AAxP1EB
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But I thought you could only do a match with the bullet (ballistic match) ?