In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My curiousity has gotten me this morning

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Not really interested in this other than to figure out a little more about it. Don't really even know what to ask about it .......yet.[?] Thanks.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=142514723

Todd

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any time you customise/alter a standard stock firearm from it's original configuration it will affect it's value, usually negatively.

The link to the auction you provided, is a perfect example of this.

Some guber payed big bucks to turn a perfectly good Hi-Power into a ugly as sin target pistol. My WAG is that he will be really really lucky to get $400 out of it.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you 100%. But what seems odd is how the muzzle break(?) looks factory by the way that it seems to be one piece with the frame and trigger guard. I don't believe that it is factory but I could be wrong. Notice that it already has $600 on it.

Todd
    edited November -1
    I owned one of the FN GP Competition pistols, years ago. This is a photo of what the authentic FN made Hi-Power target guns look like.

020014.jpg

The pistol on the auction is not factory original!

As far as the $600 bidder on auction is concerned, it's either a shill bid, or he has more money then brains.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not factory original, but I don't think $600 is a "crazy" price.

I agree that customizing guns generally doesn't add as much as their cost to the gun's value, but if the mods are quality, it usually doesn't reduce the value of non-collectors guns.

Admittedly, this particular one looks kind of grungy, but you're probably not going to find ANY decent true (ie Belgian, non-clone, single-action) Hi-power for under $400, even highly used ones.

Another $75 for installed Bo-mar sights isn't out of line, and we haven't even considered the rest of the mods.

Also, I notice that the gun is signed (by whom, I have no idea) on the front of the slide. I doubt it, but if the signature is of a noted gunsmith, that could be worth something.

Despite its ugly appearance, if the gun truly has been tuned with a nice trigger, and accurized, it could be worth that, I think.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know any of this just based on the listing.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't resist. I might pay half of the $600 already bid, but no more. Wonder if it's a legitimate bid?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a slightly different take. on this item It does seem to be not very well maintained However it looks to be far from a bubba kitchen table job. I would love to know the AUTO GRAPH that is shone in the picture and if my eyes are not playing tricks it looks like EXP 1 on the flat below the signature. This might be a SLEEPER and a early attempt for a speed type match gun.

EDIT hello RCROSBY That is the name that I could almost read on sellers picture / ad Austin did some of the very firs work on both CHOPPED Pistols & PIN GUNS I looked at the sellers other guns and all of them had a starting bid of $600.00 something smells bad I sent him aquestion and will let you know if he answers.

EDIT II hello Rufe Snow. I agree the this pistol is a completely different design then the Browning competition model however the factory model is mainly an extention to the slide / barre bushing The picture of the one offered for sale looks to me as more of a support for the front of the barrel attached to the frameinstead . I for one would like to examine the pistol but my curiosity doesnot equate to a bid higher then 600.00 [;)]s
    edited November -1
    Perryshooter,
    Good point,
    Still, "New Seller, NR",
    Also, if there's an interesting history it sure is hinted at in the description.
    I'll put my 600 elsewhere.[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    is hinted at in the description.
    make that "isn't"!
    edited November -1
    Perryshooter,
    Do you think the signature could be Austin Behlert? If so, I take it all back!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have a slightly different take. on this item It does seem to be not very well maintained However it looks to be far from a bubba kitchen table job. I would love to know the AUTO GRAPH that is shone in the picture and if my eyes are not playing tricks it looks like EXP 1 on the flat below the signature. This might be a SLEEPER and a early attempt for a speed type match gun.

Contact the seller with a request for further information, re the above.

Because of what appears to be a welding bead radius just forward of the trigger guard it appears that the lower portion of weight was actually welded to the frame. If this is how it was attached to the frame, It seems to be overly complicated and unwieldy as compared to the FN GP Competition pistol,in the photo.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    This is far too ugly to buy for $600.00!!!
    edited November -1
    And the prize of the evening goes to Perryshooter:
    Quote:
    The signature is Austin Behlert, now deceased, the smith who built the gun.
    See http://www.randgfirearms.com/5141.html . Thanks for your interest.
    This above response from the seller.