In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VALUE of old boys' rifles? Stevens 14 1/2 EXC.

Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Below is a picture of Savage Stevens 14 1/2 Little Scout I recently acquired. I'm told the owner kept it in his gun safe for the last 30 years following his father's death and he had inherited it. He said he did not think his Dad had ever fired it either.

1STEVENS14HALF22rfS-SRIFLELIKENEW.jpg

When the gun finally arrived I was incredulous at its pristine condition. This gun would grade NRA EXC by anyone. The protective paper still covers the buttplate! There is no sign of wear on the bluing or stock finish. ALL screw slots untouched. This little guy, unlike most of his kin, did NOT spend most of its life in the hands of reckless little boys and finally, standing in a corner of the barn for many decades to eliminate unwelcome rodents, serpents and pigeons.

I now know what they mean when they describe a gun as being "Museum Quality."

Does anyone have any idea what something like this should be worth on today's market?

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45

Stress is when you wake up screaming, and realize you haven't fallen asleep.

Comments

• slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see more photos from different angles. The pruple color on the frame, at least the way it looks in the photo, would normaly indicate to me that it had been reblued. I could definately be wrong on this. Lighting, angle etc. could account for what I see as a purple tint on the frame. If it is authentic and untouched, the sky is the limit it you get two Stevens collectors bidding on it. Nice ones go for $250 to $450. Almost impossible to find one that is realy mint.
  • Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    slumlord44, here are some more pics. Not sure what angles you'd like but can furnish any.
    3STEVENS14HALF22rfS-SRIFLELIKENEW.jpg
    6STEVENS14HALF22rfS-SRIFLELIKENEW.jpg
    5STEVENS14HALF22rfS-SRIFLELIKENEW.jpg
    4STEVENS14HALF22rfS-SRIFLELIKENEW.jpg

Lemme' know if there are any others you'd like.

edited November -1
    I neglected to mention that I try to rework my photos to best show off details I want included on my inventory sheets of the collection. I keep a photo record along with all purchase details for my wife and or heirs to help make their job easier of disposing of them for a fair price. I'm no pro when it comes to photography, so bear with me.

edited November -1
    Just for comparison, here's what these old timers USUALLY look like today. This is a Stevens Crack Shot .22rf of roughly the same time era.
    65STEVENSFULLVIEW_edited.jpg
    Notice any difference? [:)]