In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Webely loads

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My Webley Mark 1 has been shaved for .45 AR or .45 ACP with clips.

I just loaded up a few rounds for it and tested them.

I am shooting a .250gr .452 lead bullet using 5.0gr of W231 and getting 700fsp out of it. The brass looks good and no signs of problems.

Should this be safe for this gun or do I need to try and slow them down a bit more?
I dont show a load any slower then that in my book.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COW lists the early British Cordite load with a 265 grain bullet @ 600 FPS. See what kind of accuracy you get with 4 grains of 231.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Five grains of Unique with large pistol primers should yield about 690-710fps. And five grains of Unique is generally listed as the starting loads in large bore .44/.45 army style revolvers. Seems like the load you've assembled is Okay, also.

You asked if you should 'slow the bullet down somewhat', obviously with the intent of creating less pressure. Noble thought, but..

Since you are already at, or near the starting load, slowing down a bullet through the act of powder reduction is not going to necessarily lessen pressure. And at a certain point below the published starting load, you may very well cause a pressure spike in your gun. Best, Joe
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5grs of 231 is very hot for a MK I which was a black powder revolver.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may not be happy with the accuracy of shooting a 450-451 bullet out of a 455 bore.
    I wasn't getting any out of a New Service 455 with fmj Army Ball but lead may be different.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    givette do you think or have a reason to know the load I tried is unsafe or will cause extra wear on this gun?

If not I will try it for accuracy and go from there.

FYI I went with 5gr of W231 because I have an 8lb jug of it I need to burn up since I can no use in my normal loads for my silencers. I do have some Unique but it looked like the loads were very close to the same.