In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crimped primer brass

bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone knew of the different makers of "mil" brass.
I bought a lot of brass and there was some stuff such as winchester and remington mixed in with it that had the primers crimped. Does crimping alone signify it as military? If not what does other than weight?

Comments

• ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of no commercial ammo that has crimped primers. Military ammo is crimped so that when run though a machine gun there is little chance that a primer will back out to jam the gun. All you have to do is de-prime and us a crimp removal tool. The brass may be somewhat thicker as well.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading 45 yrs and don't think I have ever seen commercial crimped brass,
    Please post some pictures of the headstamps.

CP

Mobuck, you are correct, I swaged 2000 of the FC 223 cases in Sept.
    Brain fade on my part.

CP
  • bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will post some pics. I think I already swagged it all, but a little of the crimp my still be present.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen some FC 223 with crimped primers. Some of the quasi military type ammo is crimped.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the Federal 223 brass I have seen in the last couple of years has been crimped. The Heasdstamp will signify weather it is military or not. The Winchester & Federal (Federal runs the LC plant) will have WCC, LC or FC stamped on them as well as the year. The commercial Federal FC stamped brass is crimped but does not have the year stamp. All the military brass except for 30 carbine I have used is crimped.