In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 garand cleaning rod handle

pajtaspajtas Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi anyone knows what functions the M1 garand cleaning rod handle had besides being a handle? thanks joe

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one end is to rotate against the bolt face to remove the extractor.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]100_2746.jpg

That little do-dad can be quite handy to have along in the field. Besides serving as the cleaning rod handle the Tool M10 can be used to disassemble the bolt, remove the gas cylinder lock screw and act as a screw driver. The Chinese have copied these tools and they have found their way into the market place so be cautious of what you are buying.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    When I first acquired my M1, the butt recess held an oiler, and the (older?) combination tool that has the chamber brush attached. Does anybody know what the bottom leaf does? (The leaf opposite the AMCO stamping).
    I notice a cartridge rim grabber, but it won't reach far enough to grab a seated cartridge in the chamber, and a round extension on the opposite side that may be to drive out the trigger/hammer pins? Pure speculation. It also has a camming ramp with the round extension. Any heads-up?

Thanks for any assistance. Best, Joe

PS..I've figured out the screwdriver part and the two little 'prongs' that fits onto the rear sight nut, but the rest escapes me.
    EDIT-Response To Post Below
    Tks, Kimi. Seating rear sight base? I wonder if that's the little camming surface (ramp) where the pin is located. I can't figger it out! Best, Joe
    EDIT 2
    Kimi: yep. The two little 'prongs' are what're used to loosen/tighten the windage adjustment nut. I'll see if I can locate an old Field Manual somewhere that will explain each feature. That little camming ramp is bugging me! Best again, Joe
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    When I first acquired my M1, the butt recess held an oiler, and the (older?) combination tool that has the chamber brush attached. Does anybody know what the bottom leaf does? (The leaf opposite the AMCO stamping).
    I notice a cartridge rim grabber, but it won't reach far enough to grab a seated cartridge in the chamber, and a round extension on the opposite side that may be to drive out the trigger/hammer pins? Pure speculation. It also has a camming ramp with the round extension. Any heads-up?

Thanks for any assistance. Best, Joe

PS..I've figured out the screwdriver part and the two little 'prongs' that fits onto the rear sight nut, but the rest escapes me.

Joe I did not have the older combo tool that you mention, but his info might help you some:

removal and replacement of the gas cylinder lock screw
    removal and replacement of other screws such as the buttplate screws
    seating the rear sight base
    extract cartridge case
    remove various pins
    aid in removing or assembling ejector
    aid in removing or assembling extractor
    clean the barrel chamber

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/accessoryhtml/acccombotool.html

EDIT: Joe, I don't recall using the combination tool to seat the rear sight base. All I recall is placing the cover on the base, putting the base in it's groove, and then pressing down on the forward edge of the cover to snap it in place. I'll continue to research this for you to see if I can find some good information.

EDIT: Joe, I don't think the comination tool feature that you are asking about has anything to do with assembly of the rear sight, since the screw driver feature is used for this purpose.

EDIT: It would be nice to have the old memory refreshed. Maybe beachmaster will show up later to help us.
    What's next?