In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9MM or 40SW

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Thinking of buying a semi auto for around 550.00 which make & model and should I go 9MM or 40SW? Also with the 9mm what's the difference luger and steyr ?

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glocks, the Springfield XD, CZ75, S&W M&P, Beretta PX4, Steyr M series, and a few other good quality guns are in your price range, most of which can be had in more then one configuration

All of the guns I listed are avaliabale in either 9mm Luger/Parabellum or .40 S&W.

The 9x23mm Steyr round is a different chambering then the 9x19mm Luger. Though American made ammo has about the same velocity as the 9x19mmluger/para, I dont know of any modern American gun manufacturer that chambers the 9x23mm Steyr as a standard offering.

the 9x19mm Luger and the 9x19mm Parabellum is the same round

you can NOT shoot a 9x23mm steyr ina 9x19mm luger/parabellum or viseversa.
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks I was leaning toward a glock or s&w but was confused about ammo which is better 9mm or 40sw or just about the same?
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quickmajik was right on with his answer. IMO you should really consider the Springfield XD-40. The XD made me put my Glock in storage.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One advantage of the 9mm is that 9mm ammo will always be cheaper and more widely available than .40 S&W.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the 9mm Luger over the "new kid on the block" .40 S&W. I carry a 9mm in the Glock 17 or Sig 226. I also have many other 9mm's with favorites Browning Hi-Power,Beretta 92FS,CZ-75,Sig239,Sig
    225(P-6),Walther P-38, P-1, Luger, Lahti,Stars,etc. I even have a Ruger Revolver SP-101 in 9mm Luger! The 9mm has a higher ballistic coefficient than the .40 S&W. The 40 is popular and alot of guys carry it. There are more guns chambered for the 9mm Luger. I like the Browning & CZ-75 for the best handling & balance, but carry the Glock 17 or Sigs for work as they are lighter on the hip. There are alot of "retired" Police & Military guns in both chamberings with alot of service life yet. Good Luck.[;)]
  • cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501
    Thinking of buying a semi auto for around 550.00 which make & model and should I go 9MM or 40SW? Also with the 9mm what's the difference luger and steyr ?

Go with the glock and 9mm. 40 cal is a wuss variant of the original 10mm auto. With the 40 you get the worst of both worlds.

For me it's a glock hands down, and for cartridge, 9mm or the 10mm, the inbetween just doesn't cut it.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I have to agree, the .40 S&W was the attempt to get a 10mm Colt into a 9mm-sized magazine well. It worked, but the result was without any special strong point.

When WW2 ended, no one argued against the 9mm as a militarily effective cartridge, and it was a war that was the mother of all try-outs. Fault has been found with the 9mm since, mostly by civilians who are obsessed with the idea of making one-shot stops from, oddly enough, handguns with twice the magazine capacity of many WW2 guns. In my mind, defensive shooting doesn't require making a one-shot stop, and in fact, it requires avoiding even making an attempt at one. Rather, a person should shoot until his bullets start going through the airspace where the target used to be standing. Then again, I was raised in the Army method of 'shooting to live', and they didn't give us rolling blocks. [:D]
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to look at the subcompact Kahrs, they're made in 9 and 40 in the same size. I like the 9mm but prefer the 45 ACP, the 40 is fine I think.
  • 05HDrider05HDrider Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigger is better, and 45acp is bigger so it is better, and makes one big hole
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    go with the 9mm. most police depts run it, ammo is cheaper, and if its not quit what you need for take town power just pump anouther one into them.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak from personal experience about the XD but I have heard good things about them. I have owned (3) Glocks and won't own another. For the money, try to find a good used Sig. My 9MM P226 outshoots any semi-auto I have ever owned. Caliber and frame size are personal preference. Depends on what you want to do with the firearm.