In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

concealed carry dilema

bikerboybikerboy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Looking for concealed carry piece, thinking .380, enough power for personal protection or .38[?]

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A world awaits you! Set your parameters: Cost, US or foreign, name brand or newbie, single or double action, revolver or automatic.....
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    The Kel-Tec 3PAT is a great little gun that is the smallest, lightest .380 being made. The .38 spl +P is more powerful, but harder to conceal due to cylinder width.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look at the ballistics and energy of the .380, it is substantially less than the 9mm and the .38 Special. This disadvantage may be outweighed by the smaller size of some .380s. While the .380 is popular, be prepared to put multiple rounds into a determined assailant.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bikerboy the new Ruger LCP is great. Small accurate dependable. So is the Kel-Tec. I think the difference between the .380 and the .38 is about 6lbs at the target. If you do your job the target will never know the difference. With practice you can be on a softball at 65ft. Just think where you will be at the distance those two .380's are made for.
  • bikerboybikerboy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks bud for your input.I am a good shooter, just torn between auto and revolver,thanks again I'll check out the ruger for sure.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 spc is one of my favorite cals. I trust a revolver more than a semi auto, but that is just me. When I carry, I carry an old beat up Smith model 49.
  • smithd30smithd30 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • extremedealerzextremedealerz Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ruger 380 is the way to go its light easy to conceal and shoots great. the only thing you might want to think about on the revolver you want have to pick your brass up[:)]

He who wins the battle doesnt have to shoot first but be the first to hit his target.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    AMT BackUp in .45 ACP. [;)]

So long as you get one that works! I have one that does, for size and caliber it is an excellent CCW gun. DA pull is kind of tough though and the gun is heavy. I really like it though.

Any J frame works well as a concealed carry gun, I also have an EMP and a Kahr Mk9 - the Mk9 is small, the poly framed version is light.

I think the 380 is not really powerful enough, but if it's the choice maybe the NAA Guardian is a good choice. I have the 32 ACP and it works well.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I carry different firearms and configurations, depending on where I'm going, what I'm doing.

I do always carry crossdraw.

Doug
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    me i never liked the 380 and would stick to 9mm for the smallest but that just me.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a S&W model 442 or 642, perfect concealed carry gun, lightweight, easy to pack around, you will never leave it at home like you would a bigger, heavier gun!