In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Harris bipod swivel adapter

Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up an AR-15 with free-float barrel. I want to mount a Harris bipod on the aluminum tube handgard. The handgard has no rails or existing swivel. Simple question, but I am having trouble knowing which swivel adapter to use. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a standard fine thread swivel Stud 1/4" long. Drill and tap your handguard and thread on the stud. Make sure you get the white spacer so that indexing the stud to the correct place is easy. Locktite in in place. IF you were thinking of it don't take the freefloat hanguard off to do this. It will be a total nightmare to try and index the stud to the correct spot.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to try a different tube. I use a Bushmaster because it comes with the swivel stud already installed. It has a locknut so indexing is very simple.ar15001.th.jpg
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the picture from Mark G with a slight increase in size:

ar15001.jpg

Best.
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Nononsense.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would remove it and drill and tap it as behavin suggests..

If you thought you'd ever have the need of a white light, aiming laser, or infrared/ visable laser illuminator for night work I'd advise you go ahead and drill and tap the upper handguard and add a small bit of picatinny rail at the 11 & 1 oclock at the front of the HG.