In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thompson Contender Hot Shot Loads

slasher2019slasher2019 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have 2 Contender Hot shot barrels, 1-.357 mag, the other 1-.44 mag.
I have not seen Hot Shot ammo for years. Does anyone know if you can buy the components to reload?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have a box of the TC 357's here. I saw some on the shelf of a local shop 10 years ago, but not since.

You could certainly load them using the Speer capsules, which would get you shooting those barrels again. Disadvantage is the Speer capsules don't hold nearly as much shot as the TC ones did.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are long out of print.
    In fact - almost "relic" status.
    Time to substitute, improvise or create some ersatz capsules
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got lucky about a year ago & picked up 3 boxes of capsules & 4 boxes of loaded .44 hot shots. That was at our pee wee show here in Susanville, took maybe 1/2 hour to see everything!! Ed
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a box and a half of the 44 hot shots
  • Options
    beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello I have two boxes of 357, one has 15, one has twenty. and a box with 24, 44 cal shot capsules. Shoot me a e-mail. Thank you and best regards John H.
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I talked to one of the guys at T/C a few years ago. What I recall of our conversation went something like this.

Thompson Center used to market not only the ammo but also the loaded capsules for those that reload.

He told me that although the Hot Shot cartridges were much better than the speer capsules because they could hold more shot, since they came out with the 45 colt/410 barrels, demand had really dropped off for them so they discontinued them.

He told me that because they couldn't be used in most other guns (like revolvers, since they would stick out the end of the cylinder, preventing the revolver from being closed) the speer capsules were more popular with more people.

He told me the hot shots were not especially hard to make and did say that if there was enough interest (meaning reasonable profit) then Thompson Center could probably produce them again but since the demand had dropped off, they just decided to phase them out.

SO....

If enough of us get together and tell the industry that we want these kind of things, it is possible to see them again. Some people are not aware but a company or two has started making 5mm rimfire ammo again because there was a reasonable demand for it.

The old Remington rifles and Thompson Center Contenders that used this obsolete 5mm ammo can now be fired again.

If you Contender owners want Hot Shots again, your best bet is to start letting T/C know.

Call, write letters, etc or maybe some enterprising person could make up something similar and create a niche market for themselves.

There are a LOT of those old barrels floating around.

It can't be all that difficult to manufacture. I know I would buy some if they were halfway reasonably priced.
  • Options
    WoodsmanlwWoodsmanlw Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have probably 100 or so of these. Send me an email if you would like to get some. Regards.
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep watching the gunbroker auctions. I sold some awhile back here and I do see them here every now and then. They're not bringing big prices so you can get them pretty resonable. Just takes time looking but it pays off.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still see both sizes of factory ammo at the gunshow. I had a 44 with the internal choke. Sold that pistol, but it was a good grouse getter. I really like the 44 capsules in my 458. I bush them out with a .410 plastic wad. Excellent pattern and makes a Super .410 out of my 458 based on the 350 Rem Mag. 9 grouse 7 shots. 2 pair of doubles on the ground, the rest on the wing. Haven't seen any capsules lately, so am working on cut off .410's roll crimped on both end. Results look promising. Ah another project to complete.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a full box of ones for a .44 mag.