In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dark bore work cont'd.

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Anyone here ever use the stainless steel Tornado Brush that is also referred to as The Gunsmith's Brush, to help remove lead from barrels? I'm still working on remove lead from a 112 year old model 1890.

Added: Thanks, Mike. I believe you have the right idea about soaking time. I seriously doubt that letting it soak any longer than a day is a waste of time. I think I'll try the Tornado Brush with frequent dips into Hoppes No. 9. I think the scrubbing with the solvent is the most important thing.

Added: Thanks, James, as I was having the exact same thoughts as to whether or not the Tornado Brush would clean that area.
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not used one of those yet but make my own stainless swabs out of kitchen pot scrubbers that are all stainless steel. I fill plugged bore with Kroil an let soak. ever day dump out Kriol brush few times an replace same Kroil. takes awhile but it all comes out. slow process.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Tornado brush is not going to get down in the corners of the grooves. Go with Chore Boy or even fine steel wool.

I have soaked barrels in Shooter's Choice/Kroil blend for three days and found them easier to clean than after a few hours or even a day.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend o'mine used lead in his G17 [:D] and he useds a lead removing cloth. He basically cut a patch and pushed it until the barrel was clean.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried the Tornado brushes in several different calibers. In every case I have found them to be greatly inferior to a standard bronze or stainless bristle brush. The only advantage a Tornado brush has is that they last a lot longer.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .40 or .410 Tornado is a good cylinder brush for a .38 revolver. Other than that, I see no application in a rifled barrel.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimi,

I didn't respond to the first post, but I will say SOAKING is your best answer. Be patient.
    I've had a number of old Mausers that looked like they had rust in the barrel, when in fact it was just dried cosmoline.

Even rust will get soluable and want to slip on out of there. Keep it full of a good solvent, and the lead/rust will move. You've just got to give it a little time to work loose.