In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Rand questions

haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I saw a Remington Rand 1911 being sold by a private individual. He was asking $1500, but too many unanswered questions. It was not marked US Property, was blued in the quality of a Browning Hipower, but did not show any signs of repair or reblue. Did they make a commercial model?

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lunch box special or a way buffed out and reblued war horse.

http://coolgunsite.com/images/rem rands group/remrandstory.htm
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    nope all were parkerized ,redone gun
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Up until late 1942, RR (and others) applied a Du-Lite finish to the guns. It was a blue of sorts, being dull and blue hued. It in no way approached even close to a commercial finish of that time.
    Without a hands on inspection and comparison with available records, I can't tell you what it is.
    I can tell you what i'ts not however, and that is an original issue pistol.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the US Property stamp has been ground off, that is one thing.
    Does it have a serial number? If not, do not become involved with it.
  • Options
    chemengchemeng Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Du-Lite will be a grayish color after all these years. All wartime RR's were stamped US Government Property. They couldn't crank them out fast enough.

Barrels and other assorted parts will have difference finishes on them. Uncle Sam didn't care about aesthetics, just had to meet spec and go boom when you pulled the trigger.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    It had serial numbers in the proper places that matched. All numbers and lettering was perfectly crisp, and showed no sign of ever being stamped US property. I know the signs of a reblue, and it had none. My guess is a lunch box special.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    OK you say serial numbers Match the serial # is on the frame the slide does not have a serial There were many Military Contracts and both a 1911 and 1911A1 had many makers under Military contracts but the serial numbers were in LOT meaning if you have a serial number we can tell you if that is also a R.R. lot as to the serial it could be Colt Singer UNION SWITCH & SIGNAL ITHACA Or others also the frame should have inspector marks and we can tell if that inspector worked for R.R . with hands on inspection or pictures like the ones LOCUST FORK has on all of her items for sale will let us tell you what this pistol is
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington Rand serial numbers started at 916,400?. The slide marking was very distinctive, of the first production guns. As the State of New York, was spelled out "New York".

I had heard that sometimes very early "prototype"? production, were given to big wheels in the company. And high ranking politicians/army officers. Who facilitated, the awarding of the government contract. This doesn't only pertain to Remington Rand. But to all manufacturers, that benefited from the awarding of government contracts.

Do you remember, the serial number range of the pistol? Or any of slide markings?