In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Barrel Stamping

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I just removed the barreled action of a mid-1963 Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 chambered in 300 Win Mag from its stock and was surprised to find "30-06" stamped on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug. The barrel bears all the standard Winchester markings and is clearly factory-marked "300 Win Mag." So, why the mismatch? I don't have my Roger Rule book to research this one, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Was Winchester simply using up 30 Caliber Model 70 barrels in in 1963 and chose to chamber plentiful 30-06 barrels for the new 300 Win Mag? Or, do I have some sort of counterfeit 300 Win Mag on my hands? I suspect the factory was just using up 30-06 barrels, but wanted to see what the majority opinion was in this case.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm not authority enough to say yes or no, but, I will say there are probably more counterfeit pre 64 model 70 300 Win Mags out there than there are originals. You do realizes that there where only 4,916 of the real deal built.
    How long have you had your 300 Win?
    W.D.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only had it a few months.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should assume that it is a counterfeit [:(]
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Roger Rule book, (page 160, photo 6-28) there is a departure from the standard barrel caliber stamping for the .300 Winchester Magnum. This is the viewable stamping, not the under chamber marking. Instead of "-trade mark-" under the "WINCHESTER", the .300 has the "R" in a circle right after the "WINCHESTER".

I have, so far, not had any luck in finding the under chamber markings in the book. But Winchester was known to use up parts inventory so I would not be surprised that they used .30/06 barrels to make up .300 Winchester Magnum rifles.

I'll spend a bit more time with the book to see if I can confirm the use of '06 barrels. But, in the meantime, if your rifle has the circle "R", I'd say it's genuine.

EDIT: Further research indicates that under-barrel stamps were phased out in 1956 and more or less completely gone by 1959 with the exception of the .300 Winchester Magnum. For the .300, a stamp seldom used on the .300 H&H Magnum was reinstated. Your barrel should have the stamp "300M".