In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 upper

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am new to this AR thing and I need help identifying this upper. It is longer than I want and I need to know what I have in order to possibly trade it. Thanks for the help guys.

AT

Picture_0436.jpg
Picture_0425.jpg
Picture_0417.jpg
Picture_0401.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Question, If I purchase a new upper in say 300 AAC or 6.8 and use my current 223 bolt carrier do I need be concerned about head space? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys,
    Need some opinions. I want to get a flat top upper for my AR carbine, so who do you suggest? Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS, or other? Not looking for match grade stuff, just want to do some coyote hunting.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Headspace is determined by the bolt-not the bolt carrier. 6.8 requires a different bolt but 300AAC uses the same BCG. Considering the relative low cost of a complete BCG, I don't recommend swapping BCG's between uppers.
    As with most other metal to metal parts interface, the bolt and barrel extension wear together and I firmly believe they should be a permanent pair after they've been fired say 100 rounds.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would work for 300AAC but not 6.8 because as Mobuck said the 6.8 uses a different bolt than 5.56. Most people dont check headspace in AR's. If you do that you put your faith in the manufacturers to get it right. I bought the gauges and checked mine and they were all correct.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the right bolt you should not have to worry about headspace. There is a specified setting(distance) for the barrel extension which determines headspace. That combined with a specified length for the lugs on the bolt.

If they are made to spec, which is normal to do among manufacturers, it will be within normal headspace.