In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA "Cowboy" loads vs. "Hot" loads ?

oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Are Colt SAAs or SAA replica revolvers from Cimmaron, Uberti, etc., chambered for .357 Magnum designed for lower powered "Cowboy" loads only, or are they capable of firing hotter .357 magnum loads like the Underwood 180 grain .357 magnum rated at 1750 fps from a 4" barrel without damaging the gun? Is a 2nd or 3rd Generation Colt SAA .357 designed for a hot load like the Underwood? I've heard that some SAA replicas designed for SASS or CAS events aren't meant for anything other than typical 850 fps "cowboy' loads. I'm new to cowboy action shooting but would like an SAA that could double as a hunting sidearm. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, the only single action I would shoot that load in. Would be a Ruger Blackhawk, and very sparingly at that.

All the large ammo manufacturers make JHP loads for the .357. That would be much kinder, than the Underwood loads. Probably every bit as effective for hunting.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I totally agree with rufe, I'd stay away from that ammo, unless shooting a Black Hawk.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked on the Underwood www and only see claims for a 180 at 1400. Still an utter maximum, likely an overload, but not the gun busting overload of trying to drive it 1700 fps in a 4".

I am still leery of these small shop super bullets.

But a name brand .357 magnum is made to shoot SAAMI/CIP magnums, not some tenderfoot "cowboy load."
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The safe answer is that a revolver is safe to shoot the factory ammo that it is chambered for. Going above the maximum pressure that a cartridge is factory rated at (SAAMI)is entering into an unknown. A person then must understand the pressures involved and the strength of the revolver used. This is very difficult for the average person to evaluate and must turn to expert, valid testing done by knowledgeable people.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With ANY Colt SAA, of ANY generation, or its clones, you are wise to go with standard 357 loads. They are plenty hot enough. IF you need the 180 grain loads that run 1750 FPS out of a 4" barrel, then you need to be looking for a different round with more power to start. I have Ruger Blackhawks, and Redhawks, and a S&W 627 N-Frame all chambered in 357, and would not shoot a round like that.

Just an aside, Buffalo Bore, and Doubletap offer a comparable load for the 357 magnum, that are 1400 fps, same spec as the Underwood round. I would shoot them in my large frame revolvers, but never in an SAA.

EDIT 1

quote:I would not shoot this ammo in any Colt, S&W, or similar revolver.

It works fine in the Redhawk, and the S&W N-Frame's(27, 28, 627).
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,386 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I agree with Hawk. A 180 grain bullet @1750 would be a damn hot load for anything.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not believe that it is possible to achieve 1750 fps out of a 4-inch barrel.

That stated, I am of the opinion that the Underwood 180-grain ammo, or the CorBon 180 and 200 grain loads should only be used in a Ruger Black Hawk or the GP-100. I have shot several boxes of the CorBon 180-grain loads in my GP-100, and it is my pack gun when I am in Bear country. I would not shoot this ammo in any Colt, S&W, or similar revolver.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a fair number of SAA in 45 Colt missing the top strap, I think only one in 357 - lots more metal with the smaller hole. Good advice not to hot rod one.