In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

birdshead shotgun grip

mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
Anyone got any experience with one? I have been looking at them and their supposedly more comfortable and controllable then the old straight pistol grips for shotguns

Comments

• Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot with them before. Didnt like them at all. With that grip, it is stricktly a shoot from the hip gun. You cabt hold it normally and point.
  • Options
    dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotguns come with either a straight hand, pistol grip or a prince of wales sometimes called a round knob.
    I prefer the pistol grip for sporting clays but all my bird guns have the prince of wales, just feels right to me.
    Larry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burpfire
    Shot with them before. Didnt like them at all. With that grip, it is stricktly a shoot from the hip gun. You cabt hold it normally and point.
    i understand that, im living in a small apartment where its going to be an across the room affair, id just heard the raptor grip from shockwave technologies was more comfortable then the old style straight shotgun pistol grip
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the context here is that the bird's head type grip is for a shotgun WITHOUT a stock.

In other words, instead of the nearly right angle standard pistol grip on the "persuader" style no-stock shotgun, you've got this angled grip with a knob on the end, that's more akin to a standard shotgun stock with the buttstock cut off.

My answer to the question is that in general, I'm just not a big fan of stockless shotguns, and I've never tried one of these knobby pistol shotgun grips.

However I've shot plenty of high recoil handguns, and I feel comfortable saying that the angled long-arm like grip is probably going to increase muzzle FLIP, but also reduce wear and tear on the firing hand during recoil. IMO angle grip tends to be more naturally "pointable", though that's a bit subjective, and depends on individual anatomy and so forth. Firing one-handed this thing is probably better, two handed, it may not make much of a difference.

Its probably also going to be quite a bit easier to reach the tang mounted safety with the birdhead type grip vs the right angle grip. Downside is a little more overall length to the gun with the birdshead grip.

Bottom line, I like the idea, and I think I'd like it in practice, too. BUT in the end, all of these things come down to personal preference. That's a combination of your own anatomy, personal grip strenght and recoil tolerance, and how you want to carry and store the gun. What I like may not be what you like. 0

IMO for $30, this is a no-brainer. Just buy one and see if you like it. At best, you love it, and IMO $30 is really not much at all to spend on a permanent gun accessory that you use and like. At worst, you don't like it. If not, you can trade the thing off to one of your friends, or at the range, or sell it on the auction site here on Ebay and get most of your money back. IE risk to you in trying this is REALLY minimal.

This vs below:
    centurion11.JPG

54125.jpg
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pistol grip shotguns have very specialized use for defense.
    They are very difficult to shoot well. Without MUCH training, they are simply toys. Put a real stock on your gun if you are using it for defense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    I think the context here is that the bird's head type grip is for a shotgun WITHOUT a stock.

In other words, instead of the nearly right angle standard pistol grip on the "persuader" style no-stock shotgun, you've got this angled grip with a knob on the end, that's more akin to a standard shotgun stock with the buttstock cut off.

My answer to the question is that in general, I'm just not a big fan of stockless shotguns, and I've never tried one of these knobby pistol shotgun grips.

However I've shot plenty of high recoil handguns, and I feel comfortable saying that the angled long-arm like grip is probably going to increase muzzle FLIP, but also reduce wear and tear on the firing hand during recoil. IMO angle grip tends to be more naturally "pointable", though that's a bit subjective, and depends on individual anatomy and so forth. Firing one-handed this thing is probably better, two handed, it may not make much of a difference.

Its probably also going to be quite a bit easier to reach the tang mounted safety with the birdhead type grip vs the right angle grip. Downside is a little more overall length to the gun with the birdshead grip.

Bottom line, I like the idea, and I think I'd like it in practice, too. BUT in the end, all of these things come down to personal preference. That's a combination of your own anatomy, personal grip strenght and recoil tolerance, and how you want to carry and store the gun. What I like may not be what you like. 0

IMO for $30, this is a no-brainer. Just buy one and see if you like it. At best, you love it, and IMO $30 is really not much at all to spend on a permanent gun accessory that you use and like. At worst, you don't like it. If not, you can trade the thing off to one of your friends, or at the range, or sell it on the auction site here on Ebay and get most of your money back. IE risk to you in trying this is REALLY minimal.

This vs below:
    centurion11.JPG

54125.jpg
    thats actually the exact grip i ordered earlier, I've shot a mossberg persuader before, it wasn't uncontrollable
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't say it was uncontrollable.
    I said it's very difficult to aim, as opposed to a stocked shotgun.
    You apparently want it because it looks cool, rather than for efficiency.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 870 Express with a pistol grip, 20" barrel and extended magazine with screw in choke tubes. I put a mid bead in the rib to serve as the rear sight when shooting Lyman cast sabot slugs. 3# coffee cans at 90 yards are easy enough. I have shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with it, my favorite way to train. Maybe a bird or two less than my normal score. Get lots of odd looks until I start breaking birds as good as everyone else.

I don't mind the recoil of the hand held with my normal 3 3/4 DE 1 1/4 ounce of shot. I take the sling off and try and keep the magazine full when doing clay birds from a thrower. I shoot the falling big pieces of broken birds for extra fun/training. 2 boxes of them quickly in the regular 870 beats the heck out of me.

Takes a lot more ammo to get up/back to speed than the regular one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    I didn't say it was uncontrollable.
    I said it's very difficult to aim, as opposed to a stocked shotgun.
    You apparently want it because it looks cool, rather than for efficiency.
    not because its cool, where i live its a small apartment and the layout is such that the main door where an intruder might enter is 10 ft away from my bed, my thinking is this would be hung on the wall next to my bed, it would be difficult to get a full size full stock shotgun up and aimed in time