In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another 1911??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
In my previous thread I inquired about my 1953 civilian model 1911.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=668612

My last question is what type of grips would it have came with originally? It currently has some plastic grips that remind me of the old Franzite type, but I'm sure that they aren't original. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the were reddish/brown plastic, that they called Coltwood.

hollow.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    yes civilian pistols did at one time come with brown plastic grips "COLTWOOD" don't take yours off and replace with wood and leave the plastic off for any length of time the have a tendency to Shrink over time and then you cant get them on over the gripscrew BUSHING I will look when I get home to see what years they were OEM

EDIT yes yours with colt pony is OEM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting, mine look similar except that they have the Colt horse emblem in the middle. I took them off to wipe the gun down, and there was a price tag on the inside of one of them. I did think that wood grips would have been OEM though. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Karl! I know pics are a must for a proper value, but just for the sake of typing conversation, and being to lazy to go thru all of the sold items, what would be a fair estimate of value for the above mentioned 1953 1911 in about 90% condition? Thanks again!

Todd

I did a search on the other side in firearms for "colt 1911" and excluded the word "series" and still came up with 31842 items.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello in 90 % original Condition some minor blue wear but no pits or changed part from original I would say $1000.00 + or - $200.00 However you will never get as much as the low figure from most people unless you can take high quality pictures or let someone Face to face examine the pistol. If you can't figure out after reading the STICKY on how to post pictures,but have some pictures on your computer you can double double click on my user name and send a personal email direct to me