In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which basic AR should we buy?

buddysatticbuddysattic Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I asked my wife if she wanted to get away for a couple days for Valentine's and she asked if I would mind getting her an AR instead!
What a woman! [:)]

Anyway which one would you folks recomend? Smith? Ruger? or one of the smaller guys? Closer to the old school M16 look would be better, but we are open. Chrome lined receiver and barrel would be a plus if possible. I would like to keep it around or under the 700.00 area unless there is a real reason to go higher.

I want to thank all of you in advance. This is a really nice forum with good people.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Obama started flopping his mouth again, it started another run on the black rifles. They were down around $600, couple/3 months ago. Till he started having constipation of the brain, and diarrhea of mouth.

Can't find them at that price any more. Best I could find for you, was a original Colt Match target at CDNN. It's one of the Cailf compliant models with the "Bullet Button". That you would have to change out. To a standard magazine release.
  • Options
    fatercatfatercat Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a DPMS, and a ruger 556. I would buy the ruger. about the same price but ruger will stand behind theirs faster. I think.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    STAG Arms, Rock River Arms, DPMS, Colt are all good. Look for one with the flat top option, for optic mounting, and if you can find one with a free floating barrel, that is good too.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You sir are lucky man. On the other hand I have no use for an AR or an AK. I hated my issue POS rifle and bought my own. Does she have a nice pistol or shotgun? Perhaps some real training to effectively use the tools at hand.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Take a look at Palmetto State Armory.

Pick you a premium rifle kit:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

And one of the blemished lowers, the rifle kit comes with everything needed to assemble the lower.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers.html
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In that price range I personally would go with a S&W M&P Sport II.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CORE AR -15 -- Ruger AR-15
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W makes a good basic AR.

It's also a good base to upgrade. I've done several builds/upgrades starting with an S&W.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR's are a lot like bras; you want to try it on before you buy, & you wouldn't want someone else to pick one out for you.

Most women like the carbine (like the 6920 CP suggested), because it's got the adjustable stock & it's light & handy. Those of us with military service prefer the M16A4-type, because we are familiar with the platform. Or, she may prefer a target type, with 2-stage trigger & superb accuracy; but, that will be heavy. And, she might want pink furniture.

So many choices for those of you who still live in free zones.

Neal

"Opinions are like baracks; everybody has one."