In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 70

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited January 2016 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a used winchester model 70 xtr sporter magnum in 7mm remington magnum and on the opposite side of these markings on the barrel is the word featherweight,the barrel is 24"long and is clean {no open sights]non of my other xtr sporters have this.The markings are crisp and bright and match the other rifles.any ideas?

Comments

• Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    My friend has a Mod. 70 in .270. It is a Bohler special made in 1955. I know Bohler is a steel manufacturer. Is the Bohler barrel the only thing that makes this gun "special"? It is in excellent condition. I have no pics but looking for a good ball park figure on what it might be worth. I am thinking about $1100.00 but can find no info on this particular rifle.
    edited November -1
    I have a model 70 made in 1949. It is chambered for 3006, has a black forend and butt cap and weighs just over 9 lbs. It does not have a cheekpiece and the floor plate is not stamped "super grade". Which version do I have?
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 "Ranger" chambered in 6.5 x 55. I can not find any reference to the Ranger ever being chambered in this caliber in any of the most common gun value books. I thus contacted Winchester and talked with a Winchester historian who told me the records for some of the Model 70s were not available and that he could not tell me a date of manufacture or a quantity that was produced. Is there anyone who would know any specifics about a Model 70 Ranger chambered in 6.6 x 55? I realy would like to know more about what I have if anyone has any information regarding this subject. Sincere thanks to any and all who can help me out.

Colton
    edited November -1
    I am going to sell my grandpa's winchester model 70 30-06. I feel I need to do a little bit of research before I put it up for auction, first off because I dont know a lot about guns and second: when I brought this gun into my local gunshop, a small croud gathered around me and several people wanted to buy it on the spot. From the Info icould gather there by various onlookers, This gun is unique for several reasons.
    1. it has a very low serial number (just above 200)
    2 it is in very good condition, used very little: Grandpa was too busy and dad never fired it.
    3. it is all original except for the scope (Alaskan, correct for the period).
    I will get some detail photos taken of it and post them as soon as I can. I just need to know what buyers look for in a gun of this type, and am trying to arrive at a starting price and a Buy it now price for It's upcoming auction.
    Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
    edited November -1
    I was just wondering about my model 70
    I paid $250.00 for it about 4 years back, I use it for hunting.
    serial #786365 cal. 300 win mag.

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg
    edited November -1
    looking for age and value of my deer rifle.

winchester model 70 XTR FEATHERWEIGHT 30-06 sprg

not a single scratch....

seriel # g1549725

thanks
    edited November -1
    Serial # g2275327 what year was it made???

Thanks PEZ
    edited November -1
    looking at a model 70 serial # 268322 has a lyman peep mounted on the left side. Were these drilled and taped at the factory? Thanks Jay
    edited November -1
    I own a Winchester Model 70 classic in .300 rem. ultra mag. The rifle is in great shape, it is stainless with black synthetic stock. I bought it for elk hunting but shortly after decided to hunt elk with archery equipment. I don't really need the gun i have only shot 3 boxes of shells through it. I will be selling it with leupold rings and bases, rcbs dies, close to a hundred rounds of brass, and three boxes of factory ammo. As well as some barnes triple shock bullets there are over 40 bullets left in the box. I would appreciate some opinions.[8D] thanks Kyle
    edited November -1
    I bought a Winchester Model 70 Stealth in .308 cal a little over 4 years ago. I was going to use it as the base rifle for a custom tackdriver, but one thing led to another and that project got put on the back burner. It has never been shot, and still is in the box, there's still the thin layer of factory packing grease on the bolt! However, I have been thinking of selling it, but have read on this site,and heard rumors that It is now a vary rare rifle. I heard that Winchester has stopped producing the model 70 stealth. I've been out of the loop for a while. When did this happen? Why did it happen? What's it worth?
    I apprecieate any help provided.
    edited November -1
    At about what serial number or date did Winchester begin drilling the receiver on the model 43 for scope mounts.
    edited November -1
    HELP!! TRYING TO FIND MFG. DATE OF WIN. #70--270 CAL. SERIAL #198742
    GUN IS IN GREAT SHAPE! 90% BLUE- LIGHT SCRATCHES- SMOOTH BORE- TIGHT ACTION!! SHOT MANY TIMES BY ORIGINAL OWNER WHO WAS AN AVID MARKSMAN. ONE OF ABOUT 35 GUNS IN HIS COLLECTION. ( DECEASED) ANY IDEA ON VALUE?

THANKS, R17
    edited November -1
    I have a 1979 winchester model 70 SA. Bolt is for a 22-250 or 223 rem. I want to upgrade to a 257 barrel and bolt. I have been looking on GB for a used one. Anyone know where I can get a original Winchester barrel and bolt? Thanks for any help - Bert
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a Model 70 and would like to know the name that it is called to get a manual.
    Fiberglass stock black, black finish on 26" barrel with no sights, no floorplate on mag.
    300 Win Mag.
    Guy said when new it cost around 400.00
    Thanks for the help.

Jim
    edited November -1
    Hi I have a winchester model 70 "super grade" in 458 win mag in @98% purchased in 1982 fired 4 times and is in like new condition no scrates or dents it has super grade in the floor plate of the rifle. any ideas on appx value of the rifle.thanks
    edited November -1
    I traded for a really slick model 70 in .270 yesterday. Can anyone tell me the year of manf. serial number 58592?9(sorry forgot last digit). And did I do okay on the trade. The wood is 90%+ and the metal is 95%+ with a really tight action and smooth light trigger. I have about $325 in this rifle. As always thanks for your replies.
    edited November -1
    I have a fairly late model 70 Winchester featherweight 7mm-08 that has a serial number of G303xxx. I can not seem to locate the serial numbers starting with a letter and would like to know what year it is.
    edited November -1
    I thought I might ask here what direction to take. Recently purchased a pre-64 (1958) model 70 in 243. It has all the features of a Standard Grade except has an aluminum butt plate. I bought it from the original owner who says it has never been altered or had any problems. The butt plate on the rifle is the one it came with. He primarily used it on ground hogs and deer. It shows it's use on the stock. Much of the finish is gone. Blueing however is good. It shoots very well with Rem 100g core-loks. Has a Weaver K-10 mounted. Is this a rare version that is collectible in it's present form? Would I destroy it's value by having the stock professionally refinished. Any other history or info? Serial # 430xxx.
    100_4399.jpg
    100_4398.jpg
    100_4397.jpg
    100_4397.jpg
    edited November -1
    purchased a winchester model 70 post 64.belive it to be manufactured around 1968.the serial number starts with the letterG.am in need of a front sight hood and some parts to replace on the rear sight.ordered from numrich gun parts and received wrong parts, probably my fault, hard to tell from their site if i am ordering correct parts.is there other sights available where one can give the model , make , serial number ofrifle and make sure you are ordering the correct parts.
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at buying a 270 featherweight in stainless. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in these to modle numbers and what would be different with the guns. #535966226, #535119226. Both are Model 70 Featherweight Stainless 270 Win. What is different between these guns?????
    edited November -1
    Good morning fellas!
    A nice Model 70 followed me home yesterday. Can someone tell me when she was born? Serial# 417791.
    It's a 30-06 Featherlight with an interesting period 2-5 Weaver scope.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    edited November -1
    Alright...years ago had a "so called gunsmith" adjust the trigger. 3 times it fired when safety was pushed forward. Took it to another gunsmith. He replaced the sear, said the other guy had filed it. Then,the trigger was horrible. Put it in the safe...didn't use it for years. Read up on how to adjust it. A little nervous, but turned out to be pretty easy. A few times to get it right. Took out the trigger travel to my liking, approx. 4.5 lb pull. Performed the butt-stock bounce....good to go. Get to the range. All good except still some "grit".

My question. Is it fairly safe to polish the sear. Let's say with Flitz and a soft dremel buffer?
    edited November -1
    winchester model 70
    .225 winchester
    bushnell 4x12
    85% condition

worth?
    edited November -1
    I have acquired a Win Mod 70 composite with a Barska 4x12x60 IR Swat scope. What is this particular combo valued at?
    edited November -1
    Can someone help me find when the winchester moddel 70 lightweight with a Ser.# G1932331 was made? Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 70 I bought used. It has a camo composite stock. Loads through the top and dumps to unload through the floor plate. This is a short action chambered in 300 WSM.
    My question: What two piece base mounts made by Redfield(now) Leupold do I use.My serial number is-G2554XXX. I already bought one set of Leupold bases STD Win 70 Rev 50024 and they won't work as the rear one either prevents the bolt from opening or covers so much of the breech when open that you can't load it.
    Thanks guys!
    edited November -1
    Hello;

I am a long time reader, but a first time poster here today. I have a question about a rifle I recently purchased from the estate of one of my dad's buddies. It is a pre-'64 Winchester model 70. It is marked on the barrel .30 06 "Gov't" with a serial #52710. The marking "Gov't" seems unique.

Can anyone tell me if that marking has any special significance over a "regular" .30-06? Any idea what year the rifle was manufactured?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any additional information.
    Cheers!
    Mike
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 70 .7mm that I got from my uncle when he passed. I was wondering if anyone could help me date this riffle to help me decide to keep hunting with it or hang it up on the wall and remember the memories of my hunts with it and my uncles. The serial number is G1216737. I have tried other sites with no success in getting answers.
    edited November -1
    Can you please help me understand some history with this gun? I was understanding the pre/post 64 issues. I also understand the newest version is a greatly improved gun. But what about the few years before New Haven plant closed. I thought the latest ones were supposedly better.

A recent Field and Stream magazine said the post 64 guns were cheaper and "weren't known for good accuracy". It didn't go specific if anything changed in the most recent years. Didn't the quality improve before the closing though. They went back to the better extractor and stuff. I bought a model 70 featherweight right before the plant closed because I was told it was a nicer gun than the earlier post 64's. It was closer to a pre64 quality. Was this wrong.

I love the look of my gun and it seems to have fine quality.

thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 70 in 300wsm.
    I would like to have it fitted with a
    boss/compensator.
    any ideas?
    edited November -1
    Can anyone give me a reasonable mfg date for the following Model 70 with the #G1234744? Is it pre 64 or what?[:)][:)]
    Thanks
    Stumps13
    edited November -1
    I purchased a winchester model 70 with a Lyman Alaskan 2.5 power scope for $100.00 from a former "Tuskeegee Airman" whom I will not name. Upon tracing the serial number through a friend we discovered that it was made in 1947.According to him,"I shot a moose with it in 1955 and it's been in the closet ever since".The rifle has been appraised. Would obtaining a letter or bill of sale with his signature on it increase the value of the rifle?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene,

I have never heard of a "Bohler special". Are you sure that it is not actually a "Gopher Special" ? The Gopher Special Model 70 was purposely made with no provisions for open sights.
    edited November -1
    Bert, I have not seen the rifle in person. My son had a pic of it. I was told the barrel was Bohler Special on the barrel. You are probably correct and he read it wrong. What would the gopher special be worth. I did get the serial #30022
    Thanks
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that serial number for 1940, not 1955.
    The sightless Featherweight Gopher Specials were made in the late 1950s.

I wonder if it has been rebarrelled with a barrel made of Boehler Special steel.
    edited November -1
    The kid who has the gun knows absolutely nothing about guns. It was passed down from his grandfather. I would like to get my hands on it so I could look it over and get all the correct info. I will see if my son can get by there and look it over.
    Thanks
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bohler is a Austrian steel company, that made high quality barrels.

I don't know anything about Winchester Model 70'? But doubt one in factory original condition, would have a Bohler marked barrel. Likely the rifle in question has been rebarreled. If it has been rebarreled? This would have a negative effect on its collectors value. As a pre 64 Model 70.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've seen a lot of wild goose chases like this.... Don't be surprised if it turns out to be a sporterized '98 with a Bohler barrel.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess it has been rebarreled. I have a custom Mauser with a Bohler barrel made in Austria.
    Many model.70 actions have been used on custom rifles.
    I would suggest it is still certainly worth the look!
    Good luck
    Ed
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all your responses. I said that the kid knows nothing about guns and I was right. The barrel is a Bohler Specialz marked 270 win. so he thought it was a winchester. It is actually an FN made in 1955.