In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? about sights for a 336 marlin

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
i have a 336 marlin in 35 rem that i use for hunting hogs. shots are almost always under 50 yds. as ive gotten older and wear bifocals i was wondering if there were some sights available that would be easier to "pick UP" faster than the originals. i have looked at the fire sights and thought about a large ring rear peep. does anyone have any experience with this situation. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    friend of mine in similar situation, except deer hunts with lever. he ended up installing a red dot on his. he said it works great for close distance.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your receiver drilled and tapped? A low power scope? I had 1.5 to 5 Leopold that I really liked. I could see half the barrel in the scope on low, very fast if your rifle fits you.

There are likely swap in stuff that would replace your current stuff. Some night sights that glow in the dark powered by tritium should be easy to see.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Williams rear sight with the aperture and love it. It has a red dayglow thingy, on the front. I only use it for steel, but would be great for hunting. Go with that Skinners one and make sure the front sight is more/ less matched, if you change that one. Mine shoots 2' high at 50 yds, now, with no more adjustment. My weak handloads work though
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aperture or ghost ring sights work, but I prefer red dot sights. Much easier for my old eyes to work with. I also have glasses that allow be to focus on the front sight, but those are mostly useful for the bench, harder to spot game with those on. I even have glasses with the close focus window at the top to better focus on the reticle of scopes. In the end good glasses and red dots work best for me at ranges under 150 yards. Burris Fast Fire 2MOA are on a couple of my guns.