In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg G4

redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I am 70 years old and when I was about 12 my grandfather gave me a mossberg G4 single shot 410. Someone sold one on a gun auction site, not GB a while back and said it was the first shotgun made by OF Mossberg. I think that is probably not right but I can't find any real info on when it was made or much about it at all. I am planning on passing it on to my great grand daughter. I carved my initials in the stock when I was about 14. Now I am thinking about stamping my grandfathers name, my dad's, mine etc in the stock with machine stamps. Is that stupid or Ok. The gun is still in good shape an could be fired with not trouble. Amazing old gun. Shot lots of rabbits with it years ago. Even shot a couple of Jack Rabbits when they were everywhere. Tried to shoot pheasants but not enough power to bring one down. It isn't marked but sure it is only 2 1/2 inch shells I shot a lot of 3 inch shells in it but only roll crimp, the others would not eject, not enough room.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mossberg history book. "More Gun for the Money". Notes that the G4, was Mossberg's first bolt action single shot shotgun in 410 gauge. It as made according to them, in 1932 only.
  • redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if this would be considered rare?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's your gun. Personally I despise people that scratch their name in firearms. Tastefully engraved is different.

5 years ago I was on my way out. Some of my family and friends ask for specific guns others just wanted to have one of mine when I was done with it. The people that scratch their name in guns weren't getting any of mine. After I recovered, I did give the niece and nephews family heirlooms that were handed down to me or others that I acquired. I still have bullet molds from grandpa who passed about 1922. Oral history, maybe a letter and a photo would means more that scratches.

I have seen the claim the G4 was Mossberg's first shotgun in 1932. Write, call or e-mail them and ask.

http://www.mossberg.com/contact-us/

added. So I have made plenty mistakes and have a boat load of regrets in my 60 years. I accept that there will likely be more of both. Being a shooter I'm sure I'm the bane of some collectors because I have and do shoot stuff that are considered collectable.

Since the "damage" is done and I'm not sure how collectable your unit is vs. it's priceless value as a family heirloom. Maybe like a brass or silver inlayed or proud over the damage. You could then have engraved or stamped the info like "Grandpa Bill bought this shotgun for state your name in 1932. In 2016 it was handed down state her name"

Oh and one of my favorite lines is - Everything I have ever done seemed like a good idea at the time; I reserve the right to be and act smarter tomorrow than I was today.
  • redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been pondering this for some time. I was 14 when I carved up the stock. Have regretted it since.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For some reason, Mossbergs, more than any other gun, seem to be subjected to "personalization".
  • burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    honestly, the gun is worth hardly anything. that being the case, I would just scribe or stamp whatever you want in it. you wont hurt the value any since it is such a low value gun anyways.