In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SW model 36 half moon sight

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
This variant must be extremely rare.
I have yet to see one on the auction side.
The approx. value of one at 98-100% is 2675-3250 according my blue book.
A friend claims to have this type.
He says it is like new without the box.
Since I cannot find a comparable one being bid on I will not make an offer close to what the blue book values it at.

I hope to get comments from serious Smith collectors as to the value and what to offer for this SW model 36 with a half moon front sight.
Thank You

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cut and pasted
    The most desirable would be the early "Baby Chief" up to about SN 46000. Even more desirable would be the very earliest Baby Chief with the half-moon front sight, up to about SN 11600. But those are pre-Model 36 revolvers
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Has a extensive article on them, including pictures. They date to 1950, with a 5 screw frame. Considered a "Pre Model 36". Besides the round front sight, they had a small rounded trigger guard. Very early production, had the round rather than flat cylinder latch.

Serialization would be very low, for these early 1950 production revolvers. As Smith started at #1, in 1950.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He doesn't have what he thought he had.
    It has a ramp sight.

The 36th edition blue book of gun values has an additional %100 value for an early model(mentioned by rufe-snow) with a small trigger guard, and low SER#(below 2500).
    It also says to add %400 for a half moon front sight.
    Sounds as though it should not have been listed as a model 36.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    He doesn't have what he thought he had.
    It has a ramp sight.

The 36th edition blue book of gun values has an additional %100 value for an early model(mentioned by rufe-snow) with a small trigger guard, and low SER#(below 2500).
    It also says to add %400 for a half moon front sight.
    Sounds as though it should not have been listed as a model 36.

Smith actually didn't start hanging Model numbers on their guns until 1957. Chief's Special, is what they called it in 1950. It wasn't until collectors started getting interested in the earlier Smith's, that they started with this pre Model 36 business.