In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Is this a rare round these days? I have been to a few stores Cabels & Bass Pro to name a few and they only have a few. I was wondering why, it is a versitable round and shoots really flat?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The 25-06 looks like a great varmit to deer load. Why don't you see it more?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I may have asked this before,but does anyone have any experience with this cartridge being used for deer hunting? If so,what make and bullet type?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any opinions on the 25-06 as a target round? We're talking 100 to 300 yds, paper punching for the most part.

I reload and have all sorts of rifles & calibers - 223s, 6 & 7mm, 30 cal & up - looking at the 25-06 as an all day shooter with a little more power than the 6mm Remington. I handle recoil well, 40 rds through a 375 H & H doesn't hurt, but it's not my idea of an all day target rifle.

I already have a Ruger 77VS and it is fantastically accurate. I see it offered in the 25-06 also.

Any thoughts on the caliber or gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used the hodgdons powder US 869 in a 25-06? What was your experiance? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ran across this gun and it's built on a mauser98 action (Belgin)
    Mcmillen barrel i think. What would this be worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About 8 months ago i purchased a savage 110 in 25-06. It has a heavy barrel 22 inches long. On the bolt it has "Savage tactical" wrote on it. It has BSA 6x24x44 scope with 1/8 inch turret adj. At the time i purchased this rifle (for 300 dollars) i really had no interest in long range shooting, but now i have taken interest. My question is this, Is this a good enough beginer rifle or should i sell it and try to find something better. The rifle may have had no more than 150 rounds of factory loaded ammo run through it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,I just bought a 25-06 today & it should be here next week.I bought it for varmits & whitetail hunting.I was just wondering what is the max range for the 25-06 & what kind of accuracy everybody was getting with there 25-06?I can't wait to shoot the gun. Thanks!
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    not the 25-06,but the 257 roberts. hornady 115 gr sst kills deer at 2700 fps so i think that bullet at 2900 fps should do the same,only a little better. mr myopic..
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it will work fine. I taught a buddy to load for his NEI in 25-06. It would shoot sub half minute groups. Heavier bullets do better on big game.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great cartridge I Had failures with factory Remington ammo the first year Remington chambered the rifle in this caliber 87 grain would Expand on the skin and not reach bone while 120 grain would not expand just drill a .257 hole and had to track long way to find deer
    SWITCHED TO RELOADING with nosler partitioned bullets turned this rifle to the best performer on deer ever. Federal sells a factory load with this bullet if you don't want to reload your own I have harvested over 50 deer with mine [^]
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concur with previous comments. I use both the 25-06 and 257 Roberts for deer. I don't like Remington's Core-Lokt or Winchester's Power Point bullets because they fragment too easily and just don't penetrate. I can say the same for vintage Winchester Silvertip ammo in my Roberts. I nearly lost the biggest Whitetail buck of my life because, despite a shot to the boiler room, the bullet left a little 257 diameter hole going in, broke up, and fragments didn't penetrate enough to provide immediate knock-down power. The deer ran nearly 300 yards in heavy brush and left very little blood trail. I have since started using Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX bullets with much better results. I love the 25-06 and the 257, but recommend premium bullets for deer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 25/06 is one of my favorite deer rounds. I've been using SPEER 100 BTSP loaded to 3200(+) and the energy and trajectory are awesome. This load is very close to the generic 257Wby ammo out of a 24" barrel.
    I've killed some big bucks and laid out several coyotes with this load. Younger Son killed a 6x6 elk with a couple of 115 grain Nosler Partitions out of my 110FP. The Savage 110FP(heavy barrel) shoots cloverleafs consistently with Remington 100 grain factory loads. This load is a decent combination deer/coyote load if you're using factory stuff.
    I've developed an affinity for the 25 caliber and currently hunt with a 257 Rob carbine, 25/06, and 257 Wby.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur with Fairlane-- I and my son have been shooting our 25-06's exclusively for 15+ years, and have never had a deer step out of its tracks, but NEVER use Remington or Winchester loads. Nosler Ballistic tips in 100 or 117 grains are the only loads we shoot.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend has one that I load for...a Tikka T3 stainless, and I have a 25 WSSM, which is the ballistic twin. I use pretty much exclusively in both, the 115 grail Ballistic Silvertip, which is a coated 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Extreme accuracy, and awesome terminal performance.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer, antelope, elk, and one moose. Baruns 115 gr. tsx.
    Bullet placement is the key
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Berger 115 Hunting VLDs and H-4350 will do anything that needs done....
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my favorite chamberings, especially when with quality hand loads and well placed shots. Have used light rounds (75-100grs.)well with ground squirrels, jackrabbits, fox, bobcat, coyotes. Have had the best results with the 115-120grs. for antelope, blacktail and mulies. Everything , every time downed with one shot, no problems, no search, no trail, nothing lost, all stayed where they were. The .257 and Improved, or the 25/06 and Improved = all excellent for my purposes. Very accurate and fun to use. Good bullet construction (and weights) and good loading ladder = a great package. Have used H-4350, IMR-4350 and IMR-4831, the later was most useful for my purposes. Used Berger, Speer, Sierra and Nosler - I prefer Sierra and Nosler for this application. YOUR choice - all work well. I've NOT worked-up any of the most recent powders for these chamberings.