In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lowering drop of shotgun stock

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I would like to lower the stock of my shotgun to better align my eyes with the sight on end of barrel. I know some high price shotguns come with a shim kit to do this but I was wondering if it can be done with making a beveled shim to go between the stock and receiver? Anyone ever tried this? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will have issues with the bolt that holds it on doing it that way.

Buy a junk butt stock. Glue on some wood and then cut it to your needs. Then paint it.

Make an elevated rib. 4 points of attachment should be enough. You can buy rib metal, Then make blocks or 0's to fix the plane.

Shoot more with what you have. A shotgun is a zone weapon, sights are not really required.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad I don't know how to post pictures. I have a recoil pad on the rear of my Remington 1100 skeet gun that can be moved up & down & sideways. It's just like having adjustable sights. I know where to position it for regular skeet & for international skeet. It also helps when you gain or lose quite a bit of weight.
    I have had it for almost fifty years so I have no idea what the name of it is or even where I got it.
    I found pictures of some but for some reason I can't post a link.
    Enter adjustable shotgun recoil pad & you should get several.
    The one made by Morgan with the curved pad looks like mine. I did have to remove part of the top of the pad to make it easier to mount the gun for international skeet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know a shotgun is a "zone weapon" but my 1100 shoots way high when I point and shoot. A Benelli I have can be adjusted just right for the way a gun fits my shoulder.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try http://morganrecoilpad.com/ If you need additional length you my also need spacers.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can try shimming the buttpad with pieces of cardboard or leather until you get the proper fit. Then make a permanent shim. I did this to a shotgun that was shooting high and it worked - shimmed at the top of the buttplate.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by posh
    Try http://morganrecoilpad.com/ If you need additional length you my also need spacers.

Mine looks very much like that except the two mating parts are grooved & can be moved sideways as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all the comments except the one from charliemeyer007, don't thank he knew what I was asking.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    Thanks to all the comments except the one from charliemeyer007, don't thank he knew what I was asking.

peddler, Charlie is trying to tell you that using a buttstock shim in place of the 1100's recoil plate, will cause a problem with the recoil spring tube that doubles as the stock bolt. The hole drilled through the stock will be at a different angle then the tube will be.
    The Morgan Adjustable would be your best bet, short of having a custom made buttstock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wonder how Benelli gets away with changing spacers between stock and receiver to change angle of stock? It takes very little change at receiver and stock to move stock a good bit.
  • Options
    Stilwater36Stilwater36 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Benelli spacer are constructed like a horse shoe fit around the stock bolt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Could that not be done with any shotgun? By coustom making your own shim.