In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield xdm 9mm

TxChromeTxChrome Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Will +P ammo damage a Springfield XDM 9MM?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting their website and manual doesn't specify ammo.

Call and ask
    Contact Springfield Armoryr

Office:
    Toll-Free: (800) 680-6866
    Phone: (309) 944-5631
    Fax: (309) 944-3676
    Email: Sales@springfield-armory.com

added I'm not 9mm guy and I have no use for plastic pistols but I would consider looking at a Browning HiPower or a clone.

Perhaps e-mail them and ask about the ammo - maybe in writing they will have a better response that some person on the phone.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.

9mm +P is a SAAMI specification with ammo available from all major makers. It runs about 10% higher chamber pressure than standard. None of the big ammo companies is going to sell anything that will break a recent manufacture gun.

You have to be careful with the small outfits selling stuff branded as +P+ which is a non-standardized overload that they do not think will damage a gun. Or +P in calibers for which there is no such specification, like .40 S&W.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The person I spoke with at Springfield would not answer my question. He said ammo use is at the discretion of the owner. I asked if it was law enforcement grade and he said it could be bought by any law enforcement officer. I ended the call then.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strange response. Most US manufacturers will tell you that their guns are designed to use any factory standard or +P ammo; Glock also says not to use reloaded ammo. SA Inc must have a nervous lawyer.

But, tell us --- what is "law enforcement grade"?

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been told by members of the law enforcement community that a law enforcement grade handgun is a high capacity weapon such as the Glock 17, Smith&Wesson M&P and the Beretta 92. Supposedly these weapons meet all the qualifications the law enforcement community wants for open carry. Apparently Springfield does not sell very many to law enforcement, the response I got from the Springfield Rep was not what I expected.

I live near a large base, Ft. Bliss, and the MP's definitely dislike the Beretta 92, but they are not allowed to carry anything else.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also note, with some interest, that Springfield does not specify in its service manual whether or not +P ammo is acceptable.

Nevertheless, I don't think there is ANY modern service grade 9mm semiauto pistol put out by ANY manufacturer that is not safe to run with +P ammo. All of these are designed to run NATO spec ammo, which (many say) is similar in pressure to +P ammo

Although marketed in the USA by Springfield, XD pistol is actually a European military design, and its built to the same specs as every other European military grade 9mm pistol.

Every OTHER gun manufacturer states explicitly (or used to) that +P ammo is OK in their guns. That includes Beretta, Glock, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Taurus, Walther, SIG, and H&K.

Not sure why Springfield doesn't say this is OK. . .when most of its competitors do, but it doesn't. In any case, plenty of people shoot +P ammo from their Springfield XD guns with zero issues. I've seen it done, and I don't think these guns are any fundamentally weaker than Glocks, Walther, etc.

Only caveat, and its true of ALL guns, that if you continually run overpressure ammo through your gun, you'll increase wear and tear on the gun, and reduce its service life. Some guns tolerate this better than others.

"Law enforcement grade" is a meaningless term, but I think whatever you might reasonably mean by that, this gun probably qualifies.

There are several major military forces that issue this gun standard, including Thailand, Croatia, and Indonesia. Croatian police issue this gun standard, as do Iraqi police. Within the USA, there are at least a few police units that issue these guns, including the Beverly Hills CA police dept (seriously), and University of Alabama campus police. There are also a large number of individual agencies that permit officers discretion in choosing their personal weapons that allow these.

Don't think I would personally choose this (I prefer steel in a duty/service type gun), but its a pretty time-tested design, and a lot of people do like these. If you've had the chance to try one out, and you like it, I think its a perfectly good choice.

Editquote:I have been told by members of the law enforcement community that a law enforcement grade handgun is a high capacity weapon such as the Glock 17, Smith&Wesson M&P and the Beretta 92. Supposedly these weapons meet all the qualifications the law enforcement community wants for open carry.
    Well, Springfield XD is a high cap weapon, and there are both military and police units that issue it as their standard sidearm.

As to "all qualifications" I don't think there is ANY gun that meets "all qualifications" for EVERY police dept, because they all have different things they feel are important! Some agencies prefer other calibers than 9mm. Some are more sensitive to cost. Etc.

As it happens, Springfield XD design is a bit more complicated than Glock, and its a little harder to train armorers. The grip safety that many feel is a PLUS for this gun can make the gun hard to fire by those with certain hand sizes or shapes. That might make the gun non-suitable as a general police issue gun for some individual departments, even though the gun will run perfectly well for most users.

If this is a gun that you are presumably choosing for YOURSELF, I think its quite a bit more important that the gun is suitable for YOUR purposes, rather than some abstract law enforcement agencies!

If there is some PC doctrine at play here, then you can just buy the gun that the local police force uses for yourself. On Beretta, I'm not a huge fan of that one either. Its a perfectly serviceable gun, but grip can be too fat for many, and DA pull isn't very good (but is relatively easy to improve, if you're so inclined).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am returning the XDM to the dealer, I have fired it and he is returning most of my money. I will continue to carry my Commander model .45, even though I am not happy with the capacity. A larger capacity .45 is more difficult to conceal especially in the summer in Texas.