In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338Lapua vs. 300 Weatherby

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
so,what say yee about performance?....I was not impressed about the LApua....am I wrong?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartridge isn't as important to me as how well the firearm puts them where I aim. Someday I like to build a 50 BMG on and Ackley Improved case design with the primer flash carried to the base of the bullet OKH style. My varmint round for it would be a saboted 7mm 162 grain boattail bullet. Plus it would be capacitive discharge ignition for a near zero lock time. The barrel will be shrouded to hold it in tension.

added Then you should spend some time with an external ballistics' program and a reloading manual.

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator
    http://bisonballistics.com/point_mass_calculations/new

My 7mm Rem Mag with a 162 BT has more energy and velocity at 500 yards than a 170 gr factory loaded 30-30 has at the muzzle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to do some 5-600 yd shots on Whitetails...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, if that is your desire, you will need the equipment, and practice to do that. My furthest on a whitetail is 1120 yards. I was using a 300 Remington Ultra Mag.

The 338 Lapua is no joke. It currently holds the record for the worlds longest sniper confirmed kill, which is encroaching upon the 3000 yard mark. There is another cartridge, which is the ballistic twin of the 338 Lapua, and that is the 338 RUM(Remington Ultra Mag.). The brass is not as expensive to find, and the rifle builders do not have to modify, or use any special bolt face, for the larger rim of the Lapua.

If the 500-600 yard mark is all that you are looking for, there are several factory rifles that will get you there, like the Tikka T-3, SAKO 85, a good refined/blue printed Remington 700, and several others.

The cartridges I would look for would be anywhere from a 7mm WSM/7mm Remington Mag, to the 300 WSM/300 Win Mag. I do love the 6.5's for getting this done too, 260 Remington, 264 Winchester Mag, and the 6.5-284 is also a good one, that are common. Simply stated, the 6.5 can do anything that you can do with up to 30 caliber, except the big toothy critters with toe nails, that can eat you. In that case I would be carrying something a little bigger than 30 caliber too.

If you would like more insight on tack driving rifles, pm me.

EDIT 1

quote:There are a lot of rifles that have enough "steam" for 500-600yd deer, starting with the 30-06 (point being you don't need a mangle-em for that range).
    The big thing is bullet construction VS impact velocity. As the IV drops, the bullet needs to be more frangible in order to expand (the converse is also true, the higher the IV the less frangible the bullet needs to be).

That is exactly why, for most hunting applications, I like the Barnes TTSX bullet. It has better penetration, and controlled expansion, than any bullet on the planet.

Your 300 Weatherby is perfectly adequate, and the Lapua has more inherent accuracy than your Weatherby, ever thought of having. Truth be told, the gentle, and mild 308 will do anything you need to do out to 800 yards. Come the 6.5mm version of the 308, called the 260 Remington, and it is even better than the 308, with less recoil.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the process of finishing a .340 Weatherby to see if it will compete with the Lapua. I have rebarreled a .300 Whby Vanguard with a 26" Douglas XX barrel, 5A contour. With 250 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters the ogive will be fully engaged in the rifling leads before the bullet base leaves the case mouth so the free-bore question (.371") should be minimized. Most manuals list loads that drive the 250 grain bullets at about (+/- 50fps) the same as the Lapua. Sierra says the 250 SMK at 2900 will still be super-sonic at 1800 yards.

You can absolutely take anything that walks the Americas with much less powerful loads, but this certainly gives you a margain of insurance. The 338 RUM will do the same thing and both the Whby and RUM burn some less powder than the Finn's monster.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the inherent accuracy would go to the Lapua due to headspacing on the shoulder.

As far as performance either would take a white tail deer at that range.

You will be dealing with some stiff recoil or a really heavy rifle.
    RLTW

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I think the inherent accuracy would go to the Lapua due to headspacing on the shoulder.

As far as performance either would take a white tail deer at that range.

You will be dealing with some stiff recoil or a really heavy rifle.

Same place the RUM uses

There are a lot of rifles that have enough "steam" for 500-600yd deer, starting with the 30-06 (point being you don't need a mangle-em for that range).
    The big thing is bullet construction VS impact velocity. As the IV drops, the bullet needs to be more frangible in order to expand (the converse is also true, the higher the IV the less frangible the bullet needs to be).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a model 70 300 Weatherby with a Hart barrel,thats very accurate out to 600 yds,but was wandering about the 338 Lapua....and accuracy..
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think the .338 would be too much for whitetail at five or six hundred yards. A good .308 should handle that and certainly one of the .30 mags. If you are really interested in a .338 I have a McMillian that just sold for $6200.00 on the auction side. The buyer just let me know he wasn't going to be able to pay for it. Gun is perfect with only 140 rounds fired and comes with a bunch of brass and bullets and dies. I is probably more rifle than you want but let me know if you are interested. i need to relist it. Ricci.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pwillie,

quote:I have a model 70 300 Weatherby with a Hart barrel,thats very accurate out to 600 yds,but was wandering about the 338 Lapua....and accuracy..

Accuracy is a function of the entire system; rifle, barrel, ammunition and the biggest variable, the shooter of course. The .338 Lapua cartridge has already demonstrated the ability of the ammunition and some systems to be accurate both in the field of sniping and hunting. There just isn't any question about it being an accurate cartridge. You, the shooter, on the other hand might have something to prove.[:D]

Your .300 Weatherby has set records at 1,000 yards and is still competitive at many of the long range benchrest competitions. With the wide variety of bullets and bullet construction you should be able to find something which will work at the longer ranges. The only advantage that the Lapua has is downrange energy which is due to the bullet weight and velocity. But that's nothing that the Weatherby can't handle.

I personally am concentrating on the 6.5mm cartridges which I am comfortable shooting out to 1,200 yards. My hunting load has a tad over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy remaining at 1,000 yards, which is more than enough for deer and antelope.

If you want a new rifle, don't hesitate to buy a quality .338 Lapua rifle. Do not be persuaded to buy a cheap imitation. Remember to allow enough money to get high quality glass.

Best.