In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1964 colt detective special

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Box for this colt I can e mail pictures
Of the box just looks odd to me

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it looks odd, then chances are that it is odd. Can you post a photobucket link to the picture?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have not figured out photobucket from this phone
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    floyd61 sent me pics. We only need to see one:

image1_zpsztdq2jau.png

This appears to me to be the correct 2 piece wood grain cardboard box for a 1964 Colt DS.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number being on bottom of box is kinda what concerns me not sure if you saw that picture
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen 2 Colt Cobras which were both about the same vintage as your Detective Special.
    Both had boxes with the serial #s hand written on the bottom.
    My grandfather was the original owner of 1 of them and I believe the box was the one the gun came in new.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Same thing owner of this gun told me ...new in box never fired with original receipt 78.29 back then
  • Options
    edited November -1
    May have gave to much but gun is nib 2 sets of grips other than original wood grips all documents with original receipt thanks to all who helped
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tobyfloyd61
    The serial number being on bottom of box is kinda what concerns me not sure if you saw that picture

I have a 1969 made Colt Cobra LNIB, still have the NRA and warranty card inside. The box is exactly the same, the inside of the box is a dark green. Until today never even looked at the bottom. Sure enough, handwritten serial number in what looks like fairly broad black magic marker. In addition to the serial number, just above it, is the handwritten number 168368 in slightly less bold black magic marker.

Darn, you learn so much here even by accident.
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an authentic Colt box.