In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

grips

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a set of old platic grips and one of them have turnd a little yellow and I would like to know if anyone has devised a way to blacken them rather than replace the grip.

Thank, you

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    WHERE CAN I HAVE GRIPS MADE FOR A LLAMA9MM, MINIMAX AUTOMATIC,(looks similiar to 45auto), THE ONLY ONES I CAN FIND ARE RUBBER, I WOULG LIKE TO HAVE IVORY, PEARL, STAG, WOOD, CAN YOU RECOMMEND?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking for any co. that makes custom grips for star pistols
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to put a set of wood grips on my Anaconda. Does anyone know what will fit? I would like the type that came on a Trooper,Lawman or Python
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry for such a futile question...but does anyone know what these go on? Brand name? Really anything about them at all. They are brand new but have not the first marking on them. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

photo7.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How to tell stag and pearl from plastic grips
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to see if anyone knows what these grips may fit?
    agrips.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i cant find anyone who has custom grips to fit my old armi flli tanfoglio gardone mod.ta76 western single action 22 imported by excam.the thing is not worth much to any but me but i'd love to have a nice set of grips-can anyone help please? rick

rick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know what these grips go to? As always thank you so much!!!!

P1010001.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone identify these for me? I haven't a clue. Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

P1010012_zpsdce683bf.jpg

P1010006_zps563e4b25.jpg

P1010004_zps361348fb.jpg

P1010001_zps90962e64.jpg
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello There are many grips made from animal products. Horn of many kinds Tusk of many kinds and Mother of Pearl is sea - shell of sort hard but easy to chip or break. It will not melt from the same test but may again crack one test is with a red hot small steel pin like an ice pick ETC horn and tusk will normally give a bad odor when RED HOT & touched to this material but will not actually melt it Plastic will melt so do this test on the back side of grip . Some of the fake stuff has gotten very good and hard to tell others "THE CHEAP " stuff you can tell from 10 foot away Some has a black plastic BACKING TO A WHITE OR SILVER GRIP [V]BONE IS HARD TO TELL UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING AND FEELING IT FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS BUT IS ALSO HARD ANOTHER KEY IS IF THE GRIPS HAVE A DESIGN CARVED INTO THEM You can see plastic is molded SMOOTH carved has tell tail cuts etc
    EDIT II ivory has Grain sort of like wood and smells like Burning hair is as close as I can get It really does take looking at lots of grips over years to recognize real from fake the grain is most visual most times with the butt bottom of the grip sort of like when cutting a log the end Cross grain is easier to see than the log itself
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Perry shooter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry shooter done what you said with small soldering iron grips are not plastic bone and the other is pearl thanks for info
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great news M O pearl Is very hard to find now dont drop Hat type of pistol are they on I have a set on a1906 Colt single action also IVORY on some guns and I have three sets of ivory I bought 20 plus years ago that I ordered over size so I can fit to the pistol If I find some pistols they would look good on I you look on general Discussion forum yesterday There was a post on Colt SAA I have some of my pistols pictured Cheers Perry Shooter
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bad smell is burning hair smell. Suggest if you are shooting the guns, you replace the pearl with cheap plastic grips for the actual shooting. Thanks for the correction Bill.

You never see 100 year old stag, because very few if any grips were made of stag then.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pearl doesn't dry. It's as hard as it gets in the ocean. Pearl is brittle but very strong.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They fit colt detective special but not on. gun has the wood grips on it.thanks
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Experience is the best method.

The testing described, while it may work, usually isn't practical -- particularly if you are looking at a gun you are considering purchasing.

NO WAY is anyone considering buying a firearm from me going to be allowed to start applying heat to its grips!

With a little experience looking (and feeling) the differences will become obvious to you (assuming you are getting good information -- some blow-hard telling you, "Those are real Mother of Pearl grips!" at a gun show, when they are plastic, won't help your education).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did not test grips till after purchase does. Ivory smell like bone when heated?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like burning hair.