In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 Winchester in 405

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
I always have an eye out for the above. But they seem to be pretty thin on the ground. Is this because not many were made, or that people keep them, or a combination of the both.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about the originals, then it is a combination of both. However, if you are talking about the new reissue, made for Winchester, by Miroku in Japan, then on the auction side you are in luck.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, should of been more precise, I was talking original.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regards to original Model 1885 high-wall rifles made in 405 WCF, there were just (43) of them made in the letterable range, and maybe a few dozen (at most) made after serial number 109999. The middle rifle in my signature picture is a factory original 405 WCF (British proofed).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In regards to original Model 1885 high-wall rifles made in 405 WCF, there were just (43) of them made in the letterable range, and maybe a few dozen (at most) made after serial number 109999.

Well that certainly explains why I have had difficulty finding one. May have to go with a 95. Thanks Bert
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When is was a kid I shot a 95 in 405 W. I think Pancho Villa carried one. Teddy Roosevelt said it when properly loaded was good medicine for lions. I was sad when dad sold it. It spark my desire to someday build a takedown in 30-40 Ackley improved on a 95.