In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Does the old model Ruger Blackhawk have a red hawk on the emblem of the grip panels? Came across a well worn Blackhawk with black grips so equipped.[?]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Picked up an old model Blackhawk convertible in 45ACP/45LC.
    The problem is that there is no 45LC cylinder with the gun. My question is if I buy a used 45LC cylinder will the timing and lockup function properly?

Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe. Send it back to Ruger and get one that will work for sure, if they still have parts.

added Thanks for reporting back.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IF it is and old 3 screw model dont send the pistol back with the three screw parts in it unless you want it converted
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely it will fit and operate properly. That has been my limited experience.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience has been that that the cylinder will index just fine but the end play is usually not right: either the "bushing" is too long and the cylinder won't go in the gun, or the bushing is too short and the cylinder will move back and forth and creates problems with the barrel/cylinder gap. I have a 9 mm cylinder that a friend gave me for my old model .357 and it is too short. A thin .008" washer around the base pin between the cylinder and the frame allows it to work just fine. Also, Ruger's charge for fitting and supplying a cylinder is about the same as you'd pay for one on the internet. Of course, the cost of shipping is a problem.

As far as Ruger's safety conversion; it's true they will convert it (at no charge) but they will send back all the old parts they replaced. So if you want, you can "re-convert" it back to the way it was.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    I will buy one used and let you all know how I make out!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ran into a Ruger collector that had an Old Model cylinder that fit perfectly and functions perfectly with NO fitting required!

Thanks again for all the help!.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad it worked out for you. The manufacturers all say that you should send the gun to them for fitting of the new cylinder, but Ruger maintains such close specifications that, most of the time, their cylinders can be used in another revolver without problem.

Neal
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chicoppee

I ran into a Ruger collector that had an Old Model cylinder that fit perfectly and functions perfectly with NO fitting required!

Thanks again for all the help!.

That is what I was thinking would happen.

A few years back I bought a 3 screw .22 that had 2 cylinders, but both were .22 LR. I found a GB member here who had the same model but with 2 .22 Magnum cylinders. He sent one of his Magnum cylinders to me and it fit and functioned perfectly in my gun. I then sent him one of my LR cylinders and it worked perfectly in his gun.