In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FBI ISSUED 1076

Ruckin69Ruckin69 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Ask the Experts
Hi All,
My buddy has a 1076 with the serial number {burp}####. I've been searching around and seeing conflicting posts on the web about what pistols had what for FBI issue. I know he had an FBI agent get this gun for him (but he went through an FFL) in 1990 (date works) and I am trying to figure out if it is an FBI issued pistol or not. It has on the right side of the slide (CAUTION REFER TO INSTRUCTION MANUAL and a UA on the 10 round mag with a yellow . I don't know if it has a magazine disconnect. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Don't know why the burp but the serial number starts with (Letter "T" FF###)The computer changes this to BURP[?][?]Know idea why.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Nahas & Supica, the best reference book we have for modern S&W's, the only verified 1076 FBI Versions have SNs in the TEUxxxx range. And, they had unique 11 & 15 rd mags.

While other SN ranges may be possible, I think that your buddy needs something more substantial to prove that it really is one of the FBI guns.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found this on the S and W forum.
    Here is information on the FBI 1076 that the pistols'fans may find interesting.

the FBI 1076 was reportedly based on the Model 4506 but all three contract test pistols submitted to the FBI in 1989 were clearly marked/stamped 1006s and were modified to contract specifications
    one of the test pistols had a 3 ? barrel
    the FBI took delivery of only approximately 3,500 1076s; approximately 1,000 were returned to S&W under warranty. These 1,000 pistols were later shipped out by S&W as used guns to distributers and are the ones on the market today
    the FBI, and other law enforcement agencies, contracted for 1076s with no magazine disconnect safety
    FBI 1076s may have grooves or checkering on the fore-grip
    FBI 1076s may have no caution statement or the law enforcement caution statement. There is no documented FBI 1076 with the civilian caution statement
    the FBI 1076 test pistols did not all have serial numbers beginning with "TEU." It does not stand for "Test Evaluation Unit"
    the FBI 1076 serial number prefixes include TEU, TEV,TFE, "T"FF, TFH, TFK, TFL, TFN, TFP, TFX, THB, and THC
    the FBI 1076 never requested a "special trigger group." It is not in the contract. It is a myth that the FB1076 has a special trigger. The confusion may be a result of engineering changes required to install the de-cocker
    the FBI did request that the contract pistol be equipped with a SigSauer type frame mounted de-cocker
    the FBI 1076 was included in the 10/91 frame-mounted de-cocking lever recall
    the 2,500 1076s ultimately accepted by the FBI were hand assembled in the Performance Center using only the best parts available
    the belief that these Performance Center pistols had $2,500 - $4,500 worth of gunsmithing done is a myth
    it is believed that nearly all of the 2,500 pistols were destroyed by the FBI. The remaining FBI 1076s in the possession of the FBI are essentially demonstration pistols only
    A few very senior Special Agents that are on the job are still carrying their 1076s. When they retire their pistols will be destroyed as surplus property
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ruckin69
    I found this on the S and W forum.
    Here is information on the FBI 1076 that the pistols'fans may find interesting.

the FBI 1076 was reportedly based on the Model 4506 but all three contract test pistols submitted to the FBI in 1989 were clearly marked/stamped 1006s and were modified to contract specifications
    one of the test pistols had a 3 ? barrel
    the FBI took delivery of only approximately 3,500 1076s; approximately 1,000 were returned to S&W under warranty. These 1,000 pistols were later shipped out by S&W as used guns to distributers and are the ones on the market today
    the FBI, and other law enforcement agencies, contracted for 1076s with no magazine disconnect safety
    FBI 1076s may have grooves or checkering on the fore-grip
    FBI 1076s may have no caution statement or the law enforcement caution statement. There is no documented FBI 1076 with the civilian caution statement
    the FBI 1076 test pistols did not all have serial numbers beginning with "TEU." It does not stand for "Test Evaluation Unit"
    the FBI 1076 serial number prefixes include TEU, TEV,TFE, "T"FF, TFH, TFK, TFL, TFN, TFP, TFX, THB, and THC
    the FBI 1076 never requested a "special trigger group." It is not in the contract. It is a myth that the FB1076 has a special trigger. The confusion may be a result of engineering changes required to install the de-cocker
    the FBI did request that the contract pistol be equipped with a SigSauer type frame mounted de-cocker
    the FBI 1076 was included in the 10/91 frame-mounted de-cocking lever recall
    the 2,500 1076s ultimately accepted by the FBI were hand assembled in the Performance Center using only the best parts available
    the belief that these Performance Center pistols had $2,500 - $4,500 worth of gunsmithing done is a myth
    it is believed that nearly all of the 2,500 pistols were destroyed by the FBI. The remaining FBI 1076s in the possession of the FBI are essentially demonstration pistols only
    A few very senior Special Agents that are on the job are still carrying their 1076s. When they retire their pistols will be destroyed as surplus property

So...what are you looking to find out?

The FBI 1076, and Civilian 1076 are the same gun, and both of mine, one of each, do not have magazine safety's.

They are also based off the 1006, not the 4506, as I have one of each of those also, and they are loosely based off it, because they have no ambidextrous safety, but a decocker, and they have 4 1/4" barrels, rather than 5"

Back in 1991, I purchased 12 of the trade in's at $279.00 each, and sold them all except one. They came with standard capacity magazines.

EDIT 1

The value of it does not increase because it is an FBI purchase, but rather all S&W 3rd generation LARGE FRAME auto's, in very good to excellent condition, that have all the paperwork, and boxes with them, have been commanding extraordinary prices the last 5-10 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking to find out if this pistol was sold to the FBI or just a plain Jane civilian model but it seems I will have to contact Smith and Wesson for that.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call S&W with the serial number and they will tell you. I sold mine last year on the auction side for $1400.00.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Call S&W with the serial number and they will tell you. I sold mine last year on the auction side for $1400.00.
    With 6 factory mags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info!