In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jungle Carbine

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
Are the mod 5 Jungle carbines marked as such or how are they marked? I have one which is supposed to be genuine but can find no marks on it other than date,(1945) SSN, M/47.C and broad arrow. All just below the safety.

It does not appear to be an Indian rework either. Tom

PS: the SSN, BB7716, also is on the stock and clip. T

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    ..First, I hope the mods let me try again. I had to resort to a camera the just won't do decent close-ups. If you'll note the bulge and split receiver bridge, maybe you can point me toward a proper rear sight. It's a mock-up carbine from Santa Fe /Golden State Arms. Thanks guys.

(Note the markings in the earlier post)

[img][/img]PTDC0114_zps8whgnizr.jpg
    [img][/img]PTDC0116_zpssp8wwgpe.jpg
    [img][/img]PTDC0117_zpslkbdpu99.jpg
    [img][/img]PTDC0115_zpsswdlqrrx.jpg
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This link will take you to a photo of a Golden State Arms/Santa Fe, "Jungle Carbine" [xx(] rear sight. They tack welded a mickey mouse, homemade sight to the clip guides on top of the Mark 3 receiver. If you don't have one on your "Jungle Carbine"?[xx(] It's either been removed, or fell off?

http://www.milsurps.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16428&d=1287372240
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..I wonder...because the left side of the clip guide on mine is drilled through and threaded. The right side is drilled but not through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..I'm going to give it one more shot. I still don't have a really definitive answer on a rear sight. If need be, refer to the other post.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=668583

..Thanks again.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are trying to reproduce a Bubba counterfeit unit. Maybe you got one of the prototypes and it is a one off unit while they were working up the production solution to make the counterfeit carbines.

Make a rear sight that will work in the slot zone you have held in with the screw hole that is there. Leave the tool marks in the piece and then in a few years it will be an effective "original" looking sight.

Being drilled and threaded with a blind hole on the other side isn't very conductive to a windage adjustable sight. I could see a toggle type, 2 hole/blade for fixed 2 different ranges.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a NO. 1 Enfield. The No. 4 and No. 5 (jungle Carbine) have upward projections on the end of the rear receiver that the rear sight is screwed to. You could weld or solder projections on and mount a No. 4 rear sight (study a No. 4 action). My NO.1 sporter has a Williams receiver sight mounted on the right side of the receiver bridge. Not authentic but good for shooting. Or, you could reproduce the sight referred to by Rufe. It almost looks authentic.
    There is no military rear peep sight made for the No.1 Enfield.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..That does help narrow things down. As always...Thanks
    a bunch guys...Dale...(tap)
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=140541

the link will take you to a pic of the fixed sight used.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should