In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sell gun and box together, Or separately?

john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Ask the Experts
I'm slowly but surely getting my small collection sold off. Sold one yesterday on GunBroker. When my S&W M&P revolver came from J&G Sales in circa 1984 it came in a S&W box proper for that model which was shipped from S&W in December, 1941,

The serial number pencilled on the bottom of the box is slightly different from the pencilled number on the right grip of the revolver. Close, but no cigar.

Would it be more advantageous for me to auction these together or separately?. I remember when I saw the amount these old boxes were going for I was astounded. What sayeth ye?

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the numbers don't match, you'll be much better off selling them separately. I'm sure there are other buyers who would want the box more than the buyer of the gun.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some boxes, in and of themselves, are scarce and highly collectible. I'd imagine a WWII era victory revolver box probably falls into that category.

As already implied, value of box is highest when it accompanies the gun with matching serial number.

In your case, different serial numbers don't imply extra value, and there is not likely to be any benefit listing these together. I agree with above, you'll almost certainly get more listing these separately, and value here is such that its probably worth doing it.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't imagine what possible value having a box that was not original to the firearm would add to that firearm.

The box itself, having intrinsic value should sell on its own for the amount of its own intrinsic value.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the other hand a person buying the box most likely won't have the gun with the matching serial number, so it might be awash. Put a value on the box and ask the seller if they're interested. If they are then make them an auction for it. You probably need to put the gun into something to ship it any way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good advice. Thank you all.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is an original S&W box....DON"T ship it in that box..The carrier will destroy the box and it might also damage the revolver... Please PM me if you auction the box separately..I am interested...
    JIM...........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jin, OK will do, I'm quite familiar with things getting broken using Priority Mail. My wife received a carnival glass plate in about 20 pieces. The box was marked "FRAGILE" in several places.