In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel crown on pre-war ace

wizbangerwizbanger Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a pre-war Colt Ace in the box in what appears to be excellent condition. But something stands out that I question. The muzzle crown is blued. When I questioned the seller, he said the barrel is stamped Colt Ace .22 Match and that these had blued crowns. Is that true, and did the all have floating chambers?

Comments

• Options
    wizbangerwizbanger Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still hoping to find out if barrel crown on pre-war Ace should be blued. Barrel is stamped Colt Ace .22 Match
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    he

hello is this a complete PISTOL or a conversion unit that goes on a 1911 frame? if you send me a email my direct address is karlwoerner1@gmail.com I will try to send you some pictures
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were main 2 variations, of the pre W W II, Colt 22 ACE pistol.

With and without the floating chamber.

First, was the "Commercial ACE", without the floating chamber. Serial numbers between 1 and 10,935.

Second, was the, "Service Model Ace", with the floating chamber. It's marked "Service Model" on the frame. Serial number will have a "SM" prefix.

Both are very pricey collectors items nowadays. Best have a pro give it a hands on. As getting stuck with one that has been refinished. Will cost you a lot of money.