In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Heritage Rough Rider 22LR cylinder question

22 plinker22 plinker Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if a 9 shot 22LR cylinder will work in a 6 shot 22LR revolver? I'd like to use the 9 shot if possible but I do not know if they are interchangeable. Seems logical that it would be.

I've been trying to find a 9 shot 22LR cylinder but they seem impossible to find.

There are plenty of 6 shot in both 22LR and 22 MAG.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is likely to be a difference, in the length of the hand in the 6 shot revolver. As it has to index the cylinder 60 degrees.

The hand for a 9 shot revolver, has to index the cylinder 40 degrees.

I don't know for a fact? You might get the 9 shot cylinder in? But the hand might bind up on the cylinder ratchets. Because it's longer, being set up for the 6 shot cylinder.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.

I can give you the long no or the short no, but it is still no.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no not designed for nine shot, reason to buy another that is nine shot.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22 plinker
    Does anyone know if a 9 shot 22LR cylinder will work in a 6 shot 22LR revolver? I'd like to use the 9 shot if possible but I do not know if they are interchangeable. Seems logical that it would be.

I've been trying to find a 9 shot 22LR cylinder but they seem impossible to find.

There are plenty of 6 shot in both 22LR and 22 MAG.

Thanks

I don't think this would work.

I'd be concerned about damaging the hand and/or cylinder pawl when the action designed to force the cylinder to rotate 60 degrees gets locked by the stop at 40 degrees.

9 shot heritage revolvers are readily available. If you want one, sell the gun you've got then buy a nine shot.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best shooting 22 relovers I ever had was a 9 shot H&R, the only issue was I had to pull the cylinder and use the pin to punch out the empties. I really liked my K-22 Classic S&W, a heavy 6 shooter.

I think Ruger has a GP-100 in a 10 shot 22LR Stainless that would be worth looking at.
    https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1757.html

I enjoy my model 53 S&W using the inserts for 22LR, PIA for entended shooting sessions - for that I load cast bullets in the 22 Jet cases. Full tilt Jet loads shame a 22 magnaum.

I have High Standard HD Military 22LR from my uncle - also one of the best shooting 22's I ever had - doesn't do well with crappy bulk pack ammo like a wheel gun.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Have a Heritage RR.
    No it is designed for 6 shot and would NOT index a 9. IMMHO
    Sweet shooting revolver though.
    For more firepower I just use the .22 mag cyl
  • Options
    22 plinker22 plinker Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. I suspected the rotation timing would be different just as you confirmed.

Looks like I need to get myself a new present for Christmas.[:D]