In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mod 97 dimensions?

asopasop Member Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
What would the correct dim. be for the butt plate height or the end of the stock ht. & stock length say down the centerline? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stock length 13 3/8 in. center of butt to the receiver. Butt is slightly curved. Wood only, does not include the butt plate. Sorry, the toe of the stock and butt plate is broke off. Cannot measure that. Serial number range 245,000.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer to your question is highly dependent on when the gun was made. Winchester changed the dimensions of the butt stock several different times during the 60-year production run, and the dimensions were different for several of the variations (e.g. Brush Gun, Riot Gun, Trap Gun, etc.).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert-Ser#E735055. 1920 maybe? Solid frame. Thanks
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Bert-Ser#E735055. 1920 maybe? Solid frame. Thanks

I will measure the butt stock and butt plate on one of my Model 97s in that same serial range sometime Saturday morning.

Edit:

On my Field grade (manufactured in late 1917), the measurements are as follows;

LOP (minus the hard rubber butt plate) = 13 1/2"
    Height = 5 1/8"
    Width = 1 7/16"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert-Once again much appreciated. This helps greatly. Have a good Xmas.