In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin 1894 jamming

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
hey folks I have a friend with a older 1894 that started jamming the other day. Iv took it down cleared the jam plus cleaned it for him but I see where the carrier has a line from where in it. I done some research and see where it has been a issue but is there anyway to fix it or just need to get a new carrier for it?

thanks Taz

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Is it a problem of not lifting the cartridge high enough., Or isn't it lifting it at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BT99
    Is it a problem of not lifting the cartridge high enough., Or isn't it lifting it at all.

when it eject one cartridge it releases the other and not carry it up
    all the way before it sets the next one to be released
    if that makes any since. that is what i was told.
    when I got the rifle it had one cart. sitting on top of the other one that was still halfway in the mag. tube

Ill try and see if it will do it to me so Ill have a little better understanding of what its truly doing

thanks
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that sounds like a cartridge stop problem , do you know a gunsmith that can examine it and see for sure ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mort4570
    that sounds like a cartridge stop problem , do you know a gunsmith that can examine it and see for sure ?

Ill have to check and see.
    thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mort4570

well after testing it myself and more research I found it is a sorta of a cartridge stop problem but is the carrier that is the issue.
    its called the marlin jam or Marlin called it 'feeding two'...

this is what i found on fixing it

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your research didn't take you here, it's well worth the read..

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Well, I see I was a little late.. Glad you found it..[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    If your research didn't take you here, it's well worth the read..

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Well, I see I was a little late.. Glad you found it..[:)]

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the "Marlin Jam!" A very common problem with Marlin 1894s. Gunsmiths have various fixes but in my experience none are to be totally trusted. Brownells used to have a redesigned carrier that sorta fixed the problem, not sure if they still do.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    If that is the problem, you are going to have to bend the barrier.
    Taking some of the curve out of it. Easiest was is to use a vise
    Remove carrier from receiver. Open the jaws of the vise so the carrier can span the opening. Turn the carrier upside down across of the
    opening of the vise and hit it in the center with a hammer. This will
    take some of the curve out of it, letting the front to be lower and
    stop multiple cartridges from coming out of the magazine.
    I got this from marlin many years ago. Marlin uses a jig instead of a vise.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the issues I have seen with marlins is no feed ramp. If you look at the Winchester the feed ramp is similar to that of a 1911 barrel. My father has a 357 CS lever that has a rough feed and the barrel is cut straight at the breach with not even a chamfer. A friend has the exact same condition on his 41 mag lever. Straight wall cased seem to have more of an issue with this. Attached is a photo of a Winchester 94AE barrel in 45 colt. You can clearly see the feed ramp. I don't have a Marlin barrel on hand to show the difference. You have to be careful to not go into the chamber area as it base will be unsupported and you will blow out the case. Then it's new barrel time (or worse). Obviously if it worked once this is not the problem, but like a forcing cone in a revolver it helps compensate.

https://imgur.com/a/axY9N