In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Star BM 9mm

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any suguestions for parts for a Starr 9mm Bm, I need a Barrel link [part #strbm0041] and a spring follower,[ part #strbm001]----have tried SARCO and Popperts gunparts.com
Thanks in advance!!!!
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can buy one of these with 1 mag, box, owner manual and cleaning rod for $225.

I did a little research and found there will never be any new parts produced, which is a little concerning.

How reliable and durable are these?

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Model_BM

Everything made by man will fail at some point, yea parts could found/made - but not likely worth the price.

I might consider it if it was a private sale but I'd be way happier if it had at least 1 extra magazine; 5 total would be even better.

Yep, I read the wiki article as part of my researching.

It is a private sale, no tax.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I had worked well enough, but the sear was pretty soft and wore to the point where it would not stay engaged, safely - half a magazine on full-auto is fun. That would be my concern. If someplace like Numrich has them I would grab one for just in case.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Model_BM

Everything made by man will fail at some point, yea parts could found/made - but not likely worth the price.

I might consider it if it was a private sale but I'd be way happier if it had at least 1 extra magazine; 5 total would be even better.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not likely to ever need any parts unless you dry fire the gun. I make firing pins for Stars.
    They are durable guns and will increase in value.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a buyers market for guns nowadays. Check out the CDNN site. My e-mail is overloaded with their adds,(sometimes as many as 2 a day). Along with the other, on-line gun dealers.

Because of this, I don't see that Star being that great a deal. (Ex foreign Leo/paramilitary pistol with a unknown round count. Made by a manufacturer that has been out of business for 20 years, or more?) The only positive is, that it would be a private sale, IMHO.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It's a buyers market for guns nowadays. Check out the CDNN site. My e-mail is overloaded with their adds,(sometimes as many as 2 a day). Along with the other, on-line gun dealers.

Because of this, I don't see that Star being that great a deal.

Agree. For a little more (around $300-350) I think you can find better options with parts availability and better resale too when you come to sell it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of this model. Bought one new, liked it and bought a "police turn in" later(two is one and one is none). Good solid little pistols for limited shooting. Before buying, check the slide lock notch on the left side of the slide. Some have been known to crack & some have a tiny "relief hole" at the corner of the notch.
    I looked at a couple in the LGS last month. Good + condition and eminently serviceable with non-+P ammo. I've carried one and would do so again(very likely will carry one in a lefty holster when I have my right shoulder surgery)
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one. Well built, solid. I read an article back in 1973, by Jeff Cooper. He said at the time, they were the thinnest 9mm that he knew of that was reliable to carry. Star is out of business, that is a shame and parts are drying up. I have bought extra firing pins, extractors and the like, but I have never need them. The only problem I had was, the trigger pin was able to slide back and forth, under finger pressure, but that was no problem, I just staked it above the pin a little. I just have to say one more thing about it, it is just one of those kind of pistols that feels right in your hand, all metal, well balanced. If you are a plastic gun lover, you might not like it.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You can't even buy decent Helwan for $225, so it's a good deal price/quality wise.

The small parts are easy to make (for a machinist or hobby gunsmith).
    Star pistols aren't bad, the Nazi's used the Star B and it held up fine.