In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

244 cal

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a remington in cal 244. Is this the same thing as a 6mm?

Comments

• Options
    Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, but the 6mm has faster twist to enable use of heavier bullets.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Remington brought out a bolt action competitor, for the 243 Winchester in the 1950's. They named it 244 Remington.

As the previous poster noted. One of the reasons that the 243 ate it's lunch. Was that Remington used a slow twist barrel, optimized for lighter varmint type bullets.

Later on, when Remington realized there mistake. They renamed the cartridge the 6 mm Remington. And used a fast twist barrel, for heavier bullets.

To make a long story short. Your rifle, most likely dates to the 50's.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .244's 12 twist limits it to 90 grain spitzers.
    Seems like nobody makes the 100-105 gr roundnoses that would work just as well for moderate ranges any more.

I have read that shortly before changing the name to 6mm with 9 twist in the then new Model 700, they made some 722s with 10 twist, same as .243.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Seems like nobody makes the 100-105 gr roundnoses that would work just as well for moderate ranges any more.

I have read that shortly before changing the name to 6mm with 9 twist in the then new Model 700, they made some 722s with 10 twist, same as .243.

Nowadays with the new monolithic, lead free bullets. I don't believe the slow twist barrels, are the handicap they were back in the 50's. Likely to be a handloading project though. 6 mm Remington, has never been a very popular cartridge. I doubt seriously that any current factory ammo, is loaded with the expensive monolithic bullets.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Nowadays with the new monolithic, lead free bullets. I don't believe the slow twist barrels, are the handicap they were back in the 50's. Likely to be a handloading project though. 6 mm Remington, has never been a very popular cartridge. I doubt seriously that any current factory ammo, is loaded with the expensive monolithic bullets.

That is conversely true. The monolithic 80 grainer boattail is as long as the 100 grain cup and core bullet. It takes just as much twist to stabilize it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But also, modern controlled expansion bullets can considerably reduce the need for sectional density.