In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Krag Carbine buttplate ?

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
I need one for a saddle Ring Carbine but i have seen some for sale that say for rifle or carbine and then some that show 2 sizes,one shorter and smaller than the other.Anybody know or have both rifles to compare ?

Comments

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were some variations of Krag butt plates, but no distinction was made between those for carbines and rifles. The nominal dimensions for all were 4.80 inches long by 1.755 wide. There were three versions of butt plates for the Krag: (1) From the start of manufacture in 1892 to sometime in 1895 the rear of the butt plate was straight and there was no trap door for a cleaning kit. (2) Starting in 1895, a curve was added to the toe of the butt plate to better protect the toe of the stock. (3) The final style began being installed early in 1896. It had the curved toe and a trap door for the cleaning kit was added. But, of course, as with ALL gun manufacturers in that era, regardless of what the paperwork says, perfectly good parts were never tossed out when a new variation came along. So you can't totally go by year of mfg to determine which style you need.
    So your issue isn't carbine vs rifle, it's mainly straight toe or curved toe based on your stock. Then,if your stock has the curved toe and holes for the cleaning kit then you need a butt plate with a curved toe and the trap door.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention that along the way there were variations in thickness of the butt plate. The early ones were 0.080 thick. Later ones were up to 0.100 thick, sometimes more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Truthful. The problem with mine is that someone screwed a recoil pad on the butt and i didnt know if they cut the stock flat or if that was the way it was. It does have the hole for the cleaning kit so i guess i need the one with a cured toe and trap door right and sand the stock for the curve.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might look at the pic's here to help get an idea.
    https://www.granpasgunparts.com/krag-springfield/

added
    I was able to add a good condition butt plate to the cart $35 + 5 in shipping.
    https://www.granpasgunparts.com/new-products-1/model-1892-1894-krag-butt-plate

You might try their listed email address to contact them

dbs3@granpasgunparts.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie,do you know if they are still in business ? I tried to click on everything at the bottom of the page but had no luck to contact them to order parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie,i got it ordered.