In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Want a Good Value Scope for Ruger RH

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in Ask the Experts
I want to get a good value scope for a Ruger Super Red Hawk, 44 mag. Hog hunting and target shooting mostly. Approx $200. What power? Brand? What mounting rings and bases? Mine is the gun metal finish.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://americanhandgunner.com/handgun-scopes-the-good-bad-and-in-between/

I only ever had one scoped handgun, an XP-100 with a 4x scope. I installed a sling stud at the back of the stock and made an adjustable neck sling to give me a three point hold. Was wonderfully accurate.

I have shot other scoped pistols with a 2x or 4x. It is really hard to do well with the magnified view of my shaking when shooting standing. I really like the 0.1" wide adjustable on both ends of my silhouette 29's. The 10 5/8" barrel really helps, the weight and length soak up recoil. I couldn't get threw a box of shells shooting the 6" I gave away.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might consider a quality red dot rather than a scope. I've had scoped handguns going all the way back. To a Bushnell Phantom, on a 1911, back in the dark ages. None of them ever worked for me.

Started using a red dot Burris, with a 3 minute dot, couple years ago. On a PMR 30. Much, much better than any scope, that I owned in the past. It's not a cheapee, set me back over $250, including the special mount for the PMR 30.

No experience with mounts and rings, for a Red Hawk 44 mag. All my shooting has been strictly rimfire.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that sometimes a scope is not the way to go, but rather a good holographic sight. I personally like the Leupold Delta Pro in that arena, and I believe Trijicon makes one with a triangle too. The triangle is different than a dot, giving one a fine aiming point at the top of the triangle, for shots out to 100 yards or so. I run one on my Glock model 40 in 10mm. For close up work, you can use the whole 7.5 MOA triangle/delta for a dot. For mounts you will need a weaver style or 1913 Picatinny rail adaptor for your revolver.

If you have to have a magnified scope sight, then I suggest to strictly go with Burris. They make 2, 4, 2-7, and 3-12 power handgun scopes. They are simply the BEST, most rugged, and reliable...no one better for handgun scopes. I run a 3-12 on my S&W 657 Pro Port in 41 magnum. Thanks to the magnification, and being able to see what you are shooting at, I can lay down 1 1/2" cylinder full groups at 125 yards. For mounts, you will need a set of the Ruger Extra High rings for your revolver.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Weaver 2.5 to 8X is a very good value for the price point you mentioned. Although one needs to be careful because unlike inexpensive rifle scopes, which tend to be OK even if they aren't great, a handgun scope takes a heck of a beating and there are other factors at play.

I have about 30 handgun barrels for T/C single shot pistols in some pretty stout calibers, some with no brake - 45/70, 405 Win, 375 JDJ and 375 H&H. Even the 308, 8mm Mauser, 35 Remington & 350 RemMag give a pretty good push. In addition to the Weaver, Leupold and Burris make excellent handgun scopes too. I have a 5X Burris on the 405 and it's clear, easy to eyeball and sturdy as heck.

In addition to clarity you want to ensure the scope stays put and is easy to line up on your eye. Unlike a rifle scope, handgun scopes can be particular about that relationship. Anecdotal but for me the higher the magnification the smaller the sweet spot - I have a Burris 12X on a Rem XP, great scope but a PITA on eye placement.

Regarding staying put, good rings are a must. I also use resin inside the rings for a little extra grip. Seems to help, although if someone told me it was just my imagination or because I paid more attention to torque and good rings, that may contribute too.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Leupold 2x on my Colt Python Hunter. I feel Any greater magnification would narrow the field of view to much.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Super Red Hawk being a chunk of CHUNK. A 4 power EER Leupold will be nothing. Picked up said scope for my S&W 610 a little more than $200 a few years back.