In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W in 455 Eley

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
Just won the attached & have a few questions:

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/743560843

Based on the serial number of 64244 can anyone narrow down DOB?

The grips and bluing look original to me and that the original chambering hasn't been fiddled with - serial number on cylinder rear would indicate that, yes? There may be a spot of rust on the right side of the barrel, can't really tell.

There are no "BNP" proofs on what I presume is an England bound revolver - should there be something on the barrel? And no address line or "Made in USA"?

I don't reload for the 455 Eley, I do reload for about 80 other calibers. I tend to think the 455 will be like loading the 45 AR, any tips on what works is appreciated. Is there a bullet diameter I should be looking at other than the obvious .452 or .455?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a shooter guy here. Gut says that is too nice a finish for a war production unit. Perhaps special order for some canadian/limey brass guy. I'd say that is holster wear on the muzzle of the barrel. It happens putting the pistol in or out of the holster - doesn't take many times to wear threw the blue.

I'd be looking for a crimp grove on the cast bullet. I'd slug the barrel and the front of the chamber. Guessing a .454 mold shot unsized and lubricated only will be your best bet to get close to .455 or.456 Back in my 45 Colt days Lyman 454424 would work in the S&W 25-5, the other one for the SAA 454190 stuck out the cylinder if I tried to use the crimp grove. I could have the # backwards don't have my books here.

Thinking about it IIRC some of the early S&W war production were nicely finished. Then later the war dept wanted them made cheaper, so S&W left them crude but stamped them War Finish or something like that.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a beautiful gun, as Charlie says. But, photos are not exactly crisp, & I haven't see original finish guns from that period. I'd be interested in seeing the back of the grips.

Accord to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd edition), it is a Pre-War .455 Mark II Hand Ejector (2nd model) made 1915-1917. I would have thought this would make it a "war time" gun, but I admit to ignorance of which countries entered the war, & when. The authors say that some .455's were caliber conversion guns, but I would guess that the .455 on the barrel indicates that this is an original gun.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back then, British officers bought their own handguns. Although if sold commercially in the UK, should have the proof marks? Just because it's 455, and dates to the W W I era. Doesn't mean it made it, to the other side of the pond, though.

Grips don't look like right to me, finish wise. 100 years old wood should be oxidized to some extent. Even if it has been stashed, in Aunt Mabel's sock drawer for the last hundred years.

I would go over it with a fine tooth comb, when you receive it. If the grips have been cleaned. Make sure nothing else has been done to improve it.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would at least expect a stylized broad arrow proof and / or BP equiv...

It's a nice piece and they have a reputation for being surprisingly accurate with soft lead target wadcutters.

I think pulling the grip panels off may reveal some answers.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a little research, which is to say I visited the S&W forum where they did all the work and I read the answers. Come to find out the gun never left the US, so that explains the lack of British stamps. Was part of a shipment that went to a general store in St Louis named Shapleigh Hardware in December 1917. Evidently in the mail order days Shapleigh Hardware was a prominent mail order business right up until GCA68.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/550092-s-w-455-eley.html

Regarding reloading, evidently .4545 "Colt" bullets work fine and I have buckets of those including some very soft cup based Remington RN. I'll manage to scrounge brass or buy loaded ammo. With the case similarities between the 455, 45 Colt and ACP I'm wondering if I can use my 45 Colt or ACP carbide sizing die, an ACP case mouth expander and ACP (or AR) seater with roll crimp.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I did a little research, which is to say I visited the S&W forum where they did all the work and I read the answers. Come to find out the gun never left the US, so that explains the lack of British stamps. Was part of a shipment that went to a general store in St Louis named Shapleigh Hardware in December 1917. Evidently in the mail order days Shapleigh Hardware was a prominent mail order business right up until GCA68.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/550092-s-w-455-eley.html

Regarding reloading, evidently .4545 "Colt" bullets work fine and I have buckets of those including some very soft cup based Remington RN. I'll manage to scrounge brass or buy loaded ammo. With the case similarities between the 455, 45 Colt and ACP I'm wondering if I can use my 45 Colt or ACP carbide sizing die, an ACP case mouth expander and ACP (or AR) seater with roll crimp.

Check chamber depth,and slug barrel first thing. According to COW, .455 Eley, is a quarter inch shorter than 45 Colt. To my way of thinking. Because of the unavailability of .455 Eley, on this side of the pond. If it was bought as a shooter, likely the cylinders chambers have been opened up.

Also likely, seeing the barrel slugs .455. Those over sized, swagged, Remington dry lubed bullets. Will be your best bet accuracy wise.

Use a light load of fast burning powder, like 231 or AA 2. If the chambers have been opened, and you can use 45 LC brass? 6 1/2 grains of AA 2, is a light plinking load, I can recommend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Check chamber depth,and slug barrel first thing. According to COW, .455 Eley, is a quarter inch shorter than 45 Colt. To my way of thinking. Because of the unavailability of .455 Eley, on this side of the pond. If it was bought as a shooter, likely the cylinders chambers have been opened up.

Also likely, seeing the barrel slugs .455. Those over sized, swagged, Remington dry lubed bullets. Will be your best bet accuracy wise.

Use a light load of fast burning powder, like 231 or AA 2. If the chambers have been opened, and you can use 45 LC brass? 6 1/2 grains of AA 2, is a light plinking load, I can recommend.

Based on the photos of the cylinder I don't think the chambers have been let out, although that could be just powder residue about halfway down each - but if it's residue, defeats the purpose of letting out the chambers? I suppose I'll find out when it arrives.

45 Colt chambers would be convenient, 455 would be better even if it means another chambering to reload for - I think I'm up to about 85 by now.