In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kollmorgen Scope Question

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a Kollmorgen Bear Cub 4x scope. Serial #10991. Made in North Hampton, Mass. Pat-pend. It has fine crosshairs and looks to be in new condition. The difference on this and others I have seen is this is a grey color like a phosphate or parkerized finish where the others have been black oxide. Any insights as to when this was made and was it made for military application. Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/fiHyo#VyBXmXJ

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Stith Kollmorgen 4XD scope was adopted by the USMC during the Korean War. I am not aware of any use of the Kollmorgen Bearcat by the US military.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Stroebel's scope book. The Kollmorgan scopes, were only made for 3 years. Between 1956 to 1959. When Redfield bought them out.

You might have a unique one of a kind scope? As Stroebel doesn't list any Kollmorgan Bearcat's. All 4 that he lists, are Bear Cubs in various different magnifications.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, FWIW, your scope has a 26mm main tube, not 1".
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks I just measured the tube. 1.022", 25.9mm.
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not know for sure, but I have had 3 old Bear Cubs by Kollmorgen and they all had that dull grey finish with some traces of black. I figured the black finish was not very good and wore off.