In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R rifle barrels vs receiver pressure limits?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have a few h&r rifle barrels that I'm selling and understand that some models receivers cant handle the pressure from the rifle cals? I have a sb2 and a 1871 model. was told the pardner model cant handle the pressures. or the sb1? need to find out if the topper models are good to go? if anyone can tell me which ones can and cant handle the pressures, would be greatly appreciated, red

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    has to be sb2 hardend
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day I had a 22 hornet that was with a 3" 20 barrel that was origional H&R. There were other barrels for lower pressure rounds like 30-30. I almost bought a complete rifle in 22 Jet I think it was a model 158 IIRC. Those were all old H&R and I they they were all factory fitted.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    seems the topper models came in 22 hornet, several pistol cals., 30-30 and 45-70. would a .243 have that much more pressuse than a 30-30 or 45/70 gov.??
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "would a .243 have that much more pressuse than a 30-30 or 45/70 gov.??"

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    redman.com1,

quote:would a .243 have that much more pressuse than a 30-30 or 45/70 gov.??

Mobuck is correct. By the SAAMI numbers:

.22 Hornet = ~43,000 psi

.243 Win. = ~60,000 psi

This is a substantial difference.

Best.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the old models and the newer models barrels do not interchange. the newer models the sb2 frame was designed for rifle calibers while the sb1 frame was made for shotgun and pistol calibers.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    the old models and the newer models barrels do not interchange. the newer models the sb2 frame was designed for rifle calibers while the sb1 frame was made for shotgun and pistol calibers.

True[;)]