In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK-47 drum recommendations?

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
hey all....i just sold a pistol and am thinking of buying a drum mag for my ak....any suggestions on which to get? i see chinesse 75 rounders....and i see other 100 round drums but never says who makes it. Are drums reliable? where would my money be best spent? and how do they actually fuction? Any help would be great....thanks!

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    I have 3 chinese and have only used 1 once. I would imagine that all man. are made to Mil. Spec. They are spring loaded with a key for winding. Take the top off move the feeding arm inside all the way to the left. Place the rds. point first into the drum sections lock the top then turn key apprx. 12 turns. The one I used worked fine, but made the rifle so heavy I had to brace it on a bench to fire accurately. Because of the ridiculous prices they're asking and the added weight, you could probably but 7 30 rd mags for the same price. You might consider buying drums as an investment, as the prices are rising.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well i found a couple 75 rounders for about 90 bucks.....im not sure if its worth spending another $90 for an extra 25 round for the 100s though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Considering that before the ban they were going for $30-$40 it's hard to justify unless you are going to lay down fire from a prone position for an advancing squad. I just bought 10 bulgarian 30 rd. on the auction for $75. But, if you're like me, you just have to have one of everything. Unless you're strong you won't be able to shoot a 100rd drum from a standing position accurately.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well.....i doubt that i will be shooting from the shoulder with a drum....im just trying to get mine to somewhat resemble a light machinegun...i need to get a bipod too.as far as laying down a line of suppressing fire.....those coffee cans can be really vicious you know.....and the kids get a kick out of seeing a "real ak" during the bump method....however....the parents never really do. =-)....thanks for the input!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    btw...whats the best way to store magazines??? i have around 10 but only use 1 or 2 when i go to the range. i have the others packed away in a plastic ziplock bag with a thin-good coat of oil.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You can put a small packet of dessicant [silica powder] in ea. bag, then place the bags in a military ammo can. That reminds me that I have a lot of different mags that need the same treatment. You should be able to find the dessicant in any gun catalog or gun shop.