In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Essex Gun Works

cgnorvellcgnorvell Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have what WAS once a single shot .410 pistol. It is now a .38 single shot, rifled barrel. It has a beautiful nickel receiver, #252xx.
Can anyone give me date,background on this weapon ?

Merry Christmas
Garryowen

Comments

• Options
    cgnorvellcgnorvell Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of this manufacturer? I cannot find it anywhere. I was given an (apparently) old double-barrel 12ga made by essex Gun Works. Any help or guidance on where I can research its value would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Long ago defunct. Utility guns not coveted by collectors... Never will be!Value will be as a wallhanger. Perhaps as high as a couple hundred dollars to the right person. Much less to just about everyone else.
    nord
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Essex is still in business I think. At least Brownells still sells Essex 1911 frames and slides.I agree about the value of your shotgun. If it's sound, it's a shooter. If not it's a wall hanger.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different Essex
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Essex Gun Works was a trade name used by Crescent Firearms Company for "store-brand" shotguns they made for Belknap Hardware Company of Louisville, Kentucky.They were utility firearms, but pretty well made, which is why many of them survive until today. As "nord" as already stated they have no collector value. There is a Mississippi Valley Arms Co. shotgun made by the same company - Crescent Firearms Company up for auction on this site. It appears to be in very good shape. What it sells for will be a "sort-of" guide as to the value of your shotgun. "Sort-of" because your shotgun may not be in as good of condition or with sidelocks.PS: There is also an "Enders" shotgun on this auction site that was made by Crescent Firearms Co. It too would be a guide to the "value" of your shotgun. Too bad there is not a Knickerbocker number 8 in 20 gauge or better yet 28 gauge, I would be bidding on it myself.[This message has been edited by AdamsQuailHunter (edited 10-16-2001).]
  • Options
    ledbelly52734ledbelly52734 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just an additional comment
    it probably has short chambers (2 5/8") which would require 'baby food' loads in 2 3/4" shells.