In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.32 back-up

USMCUSMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I plan to buy a .32 North American Arms for a pocket size ccw. Is this gun built well or not? I want a small auto for summer and a back-up gun. Michigan ccw permits have started being issued. I am looking to buy soon and need some input. Willing to pay for quality. Thanks for your input. May God protect our troops. Amen.

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is well built, but it is bigger (thicker), heavier (6.6 ounces instead of 13.5 ounces, which is heavier than an Airweight J-frame), costs more (retails for $425 instead of $295, actual cost nearer $200), kicks more (blow back, not locked breech) and holds fewer rounds (6+1 instead of 7+1)than a Kel-Tec P32. While I do not own a Guardian, I own its inspiration, the Seecamp LWS 32, and prefer the Kel-Tec P32 by far over the Seecamp for carry.
  • Options
    PHXPHX Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With regards to your .32 as a backup, North American has made a quality firearm, however I too have a Kel-tec 32. The mag holds 7 + 1 and is light weight enough that at times I forget I am carrying the little gun. There's a web page KTOG review some of the postings there, might be helpful. Kel-tec also make a clip for the side of the Kel- tec, The clip works great.
  • Options
    jmrksjmrks Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although Kel Tech is a good economical weapon, I would seriously look at the .32 cal. "Beretta Tomcat". Obviously Beretta makes a great weapon, and it will maintain its value in the long run.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jmrks touts the Tomcat, and it is a much nicer finished pistol than the P32. However, it is comparatively HUGE. It is almost as big as a J-frame and weighs as much as an Airweight J-frame. In a previous thread, I outlined in detail my reasons for choosing a P32 over the Tomcat and I stand by those reasons. (I have both and have directly compared them.)In a carry gun, I do not think retained value is an issue. If you carry a pistol much, it will show wear and most collector value and some resale value will be lost anyway. What difference does it really make if a $300 Beretta becomes worth $150 or a $220 P32 becomes worth $125? (Note the relative loss of estimated value greatly favors the P32.) The value of either will have been in its protection, not in its future collector or resale value.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer my Springfield 1911, but sometimes its just not practical. I always, ALWAYS have a P32 in my pocket, though.The Judge and I see eye-to-eye on this one.The classiest .32 ever made, though, was the Model M Colt. What say you, Judge?
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    flinchflinch Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not the Judge but I am able to Judge good looking guns and the Model M is without a doubt in the top three of all time sleek looking guns. Classy. And I loved my P32 and envy those few that have one that actually works to the point that they trust thier life to it. Traded it in for a used Mustang .380, which I trust.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Doctor about the Colt Model M. I love the late ones with the soft blue-blue Pre-War finish, but then the mirror blue-black of the early ones with the fire-blued screws.... Darn you Doctor, now I see I cannot decide which I like better.flinch, what was wrong with your P32? I have been most pleased with mine, and, like the Doctor, mine is usually with me when something larger cannot be. I have not found a Kel-Tec that cannot be made to work 100%, but I understand if there is ever a failure, confidence may be lost for good. I agree with flinch that the locked-breech Colt .380s are great pistols. When something bigger can be carried, my dehorned and lightened Colt Pony Pocketlite fills that bill. Depending on circumstances that allow something larger, I then go up to the Kel-Tec P11, then to my Steyr GB, then to my USAS 12 with 20 round drum and a spare in the hip pouch... Opps, got carried away. Sorry.I renew my vote for the P32. If the original poster is still considering the Guardian, I have a Seecamp LWS 32 new-in-the-box that I would be willing to sell as an alternative to the Guardian.
  • Options
    GHSGHS Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All above are good points, but nobody has mentioned the low power that the .32 has. I know many may disagree, but the .32 is just what the original post called it. A "back up". That refers to a back up to a "carry gun". A last resort weapon to be deployed when all else fails. A .32 has about 75 foot pounds of energy at 7 yards. A .40 S+W has over 300 foot pounds at 100 yards. Just a comparison, I know how big a .40 S+W pistol can be regardless of make. But 75 foot pounds of energy will be hard pressed to get through a good jacket in colder weather. I have seen this in the past in print: "Just keep the .32 at home and carry a sharp pencil". Bottom line, get something big enough to do the job and small enough to carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GHS points out the fact of life that there are no free lunches. For a smaller delivery package, one gives up power. However, I think GHS is a bit off on his power estimates. If one is carrying a .32ACP for protection, one should should be carrying high performance ammunition. For instance, Cor-Bon .32 has a muzzle energy of 150 foot pounds, more than adequate to penetrate winter clothing. Sure, a Cor-Bon 135 grain .40S&W has 526 foot pounds of muzzle energy, but the point is, one cannot always have such a big pistol on one's person. No one is advocating a .32 if a bigger pistol can be carried, but many times, a bigger pistol cannot be carried. The most power in the smallest size is what we are discussing here. The continuum of size and power from too small to too large is populated with many pistols. Stop where the factors most important to you meet. If one can conceal a Desert Eagle .50AE in one's swimsuit, great. A Kel-Tec P32 is all I can conceal in mine. I prefer a .32 to a pencil any time, and shall continue to have my P32 with me when I can have nothing bigger.
  • Options
    win62win62 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok Guys. I carry a Kel-Tec P11 9mm all the time wearing shorts and a "T" shirt. I have the piece in a "belly band" just below the belt line and guarantee it cannot be seen. Light enough too.[This message has been edited by win62 (edited 10-17-2001).]
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i thought about a P32 but my NAA black widow has almost the same impact power wise. i guess the P32 would be better if it was the ONLY thing you could carry without flashing the piece..