In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home Defense

SCOTin ARIZSCOTin ARIZ Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I know this subject has been covered before, but I can't find it. I'm only interested in firing my Walther PPS equiped with a laser and light, one time at somebody less than 15 feet from me, in a heavy jacket, coming into my bedroom in the middle of the night. I want his next stop to be the morgue. What round do I want?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any thoughts (pro & con) about using the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 590 for home defense? Is either one a better shotgun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you had to pick between the glock 19 or the 30 which is better for home defense
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a PMR-30. I am impressed with it. I am thinking about replacing the 1911 colt with it for night time home defense. Given the capacity of the PMR vs the knock down of the 1911 its more a less a toss up. Any suggestions on personal preference. And no I dont want both in my nightstand. Way too many grandkids.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are exceptionally well suited for the job.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take AntiqueDrs word on that, He knows his stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg 500 (a less flashier version of the 590, also one round less capacity)for home defense. I find it is a great gun and I've had no problems. Altough, fortunately, I've never used it for it's intended purpose.-Marcus
  • Options
    briscobrisco Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scot,My advance warning system starts with two great, protective dogs.My defensive system leads off with a Mossberg 590.It'll be your best friend, after a good woman and great dog. Of course the woman may leave you, and the dog will likely pass on before you do, but your 590 will be faithful and functional long after your gone.Now, lets talk about offensive...Best regards, Brisco
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my suggestions....1.) Chain on Door....2.) Alarm system....3.) mini Pincher (the high pitch Yips help rouse you from your nice sleep)...if the intruder still wishes to proceed...4.) not only will the Yips rouse me from my sleep but also "Mr. Weiler", my Rottweiler and "Justice" my German Shepard...5.) any man with balls enough to charge a Rott and a GS will be congradulated with a Remington 870 in the face...(3 rounds birdshot, 4 00 Buck)5.) if all else fails, my 9mm with a 30 mag full of hydrashocks should do the trick.
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wassamatter Kadaver,don't like to reload??
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only two problems with a shotgun for home defense are size and over-penetration. even a short barrel will leave a pretty long gun to move around hallways and tight corners with. also, you dont want to give the intruder something to grab, like the barrel, if you confront him. a pistol is best for weapon retention. as for effectiveness, nothing can beat the scattergun at close range. heavy shot and slugs will go through walls so be careful about posing a threat to others in the house or close neighbors. birdshot makes sense.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are techniques to maneuvering a shotgun that obviate the grab problem. 1) There is no need and there should be no desire to seek out the intruder. Unless you have serious tactical training, venturing forth puts you in the disadvantageous position of being the ambushee rather than the ambusher. Take cover in your bedroom, have the spouse call 911, keep the shotgun pointed at the door.2) If you must disregard #1, proceed with the shotgun mounted to the shoulder, with the muzzle at a 45-deg downward angle. Upon contact with the bad guy, simply dropping to a knee will bring the muzzle up and simultaneous reduce your own target profile. Of course, be watchful you dont screen your target behind furniture. Also, should the bad guy grab the shotgun, squeezing the trigger should result in a devastating lower extremity wound. Or, simply dropping the butt from the shoulder while squeezing the trigger should result in an abdominal wound. Much preferred over the muzzle-skyward carry you see all the time.Absolutely right about heavy shot and slugs penetrating interior walls. Many knowledgable people recommend carrying birdshot as the first few rounds, anyway. Still does whopping damage at conventional home defense range yet minimizes overpenetration danger.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossburg BullPup for my home defence. It is short 31 inches ovwer all. 9 shot of what ever I need. My 2 cents
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a six shooter Moss Bullpup did'nt know they made them in nine. Do they still make the Bullpup? it was/is a nice short,legal shotgun with a good butt pad to soak up the recoil..
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Mossburg BullPup is on the Ban list for assult weapons. Thus they do not make them for sale in this country any more. They did make a fare amount of them soooo you can find them for sale from time to time.