In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield Armory SAR-8

X- JarheadX- Jarhead Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a SAR-8 that is in excellent condition. Not being that familiar with the rifle I thought I'd see if there are any opionions out there as to it's reliability and accuracy. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    briscobrisco Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. X, I bought one new a few months back.It had a couple of quirks, but now seems to working well. I've still not but a scope on it and tried any 100+ yard accuracy.My advice: cycle the action a few times and make sure that the bolt closes (all the way forward) easily. Also, inspect the rifling in the barrel, it should be in good condition.I've heard a rumor that some one shot a couple of thousand rounds through one and the aluminum receiver became out of spec and accuracy was poor. I have no idea how true this may be, as there are now likely tens of thousands of FALs, HK91-G3-SAR8s, and AR10s that fire .308 and seem to be fine.Mine's great fun to shoot, the muzzle blast and report always gets attention. And I love the iron sights. Finally there are good mags to be had at good prices. At recent Gun Show I saw factory original HK mags, 20 rnds, un-used, from $89 to $12. I picked up an arm-load of the $12 ones.Check out hk91.com and hkpro.com for more info. Just search for "SAR8".Regards, Brisco
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Ain't no such a thing as an X-Jarhead, brother!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!