In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 s&w 10 mm 45

denniswdennisw Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
There seems to be some differance of opinion about the relitive power of 40 s&w, 10 mm,and 45. Here is a web site that has done a good job of sorting out the details of all makes and weight www.greent.com link calibersAlso has anyone heard of the kb problem with glock pistols. This web site has listings and photos of blown glocks.

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the site, I always knew my 10mm had some poop to it, now I know for sure.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, this all flies in the face of what I have read and learned about Glock pistols. Aside from what has been posted on the afore-mentioned website, what should I do if I am saving for a Glock?
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman, buy a colt or a kimber.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe there are two types of KB's; one where cartridge case webs extend behind the top of the feed ramp and where the case blows out and the second where the barrel splits through the chamber.In the first instance heavy reloads are risky because cases are weakened where sidewall meets web from a lot of resizing. However,some guns like the Luger have gotten away with it. If you blow out a case over the feed ramp on a steel framed gun you may just blow out the magazine and crack the grips which on a plastic gun might crack the frame.One thing we may not appreciate is that shooters today shoot much more ammo than they used to and brass may actually get used up by all that resizing. Gunwriters used to recommend fresh brass for hot handloads.The other type of KABOOM is more serious.splitting the chamber is not from firing out of battery but from (per the photos) a brittle failure through the chamber walls to the longitunal grooves where the barrel rests on the frame during recoil. These cuts can create a stress multiplier on the order of 4xAdd to this weakness, an enlargement of the chamber to 40S&W or 357SIG and you've got a very thin ,notched chamber.If this weren't bad enough, the barrels are locally hardened to resist bearing loads in the locking lug area, creating varying hardness patterns in the barrel which introduce brittleness in the chamber area.In the 9mm, wall thickness is greater and no KABOOMs have been reported.Glock keeps their problems close to the vestbut I would hope they are looking at highnotch strength, vacuum remelt,alloy steel forging with a high reduction ratio for their larger caliber barrels and not bar stock. I don't believe brass or feed ramp issues relate to any of the barrel blowups.For these reasons I'll keep my G19 as a 9mm.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    v35,You've hit the nail pretty hard and on the head. They also need to put radius' in the corners of thier mill cuts to reduce the "sharp corner fracture" that happens to heat treated steel. I wonder if they are considering chroming the chamber to reduce wear from CCI aluminum cases. I would like to know how many of the guns that blew had a significant number of aluminum cases run through them. The aluminum is very abrasive and the Glocks MUST have a tight chamber to keep this from happening. Add a little dirt to the aluminum and you might as well be running grinding stones throught the chamber.The next problem is stopping these guns from firing unless they are locked into battery. A tight chamber that is dirty will not let the cartridge seat and in most guns will not fire due to the gun not in battery. I don't know why glock hasn't looked into this before now.I had one. It broke too many times (3). Glock was good at repairing it under warranty, but I sold it anyway. It seems they are either a loved or hated gun. Neither is true for me, I just rate them right up there with a Llama.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    is this like the issue between Ford and Firestone. This combination is deadly for what ever the reason. Soooo dont use Remington or reloads in the Glock. I have usewd the Glock 23 for years and have never had this problem. Then again I do not use reloads. My 2 cents
  • Options
    PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've put over 6000 rounds through my Delta Elite,most of them handloads.The gun shows a small amount of normal wear.I can make consistent off-hand groups under 3" at 25 yards.Steel's better than plastic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    royc38--I know this is the "Ask the Experts" column and I do not claim to be an expert but I've fired Colts, Kimbers, Glocks, Sigs, H&K's....etc. Why would you tell someone to buy a Colt or a Kimber if they are looking at buying a Glock? If I was looking for a 1911 I would buy a Para-Ordnance Limited anyways. That's like telling someone looking into a Remington 700 to go buy a Winchester 94. My question stands.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman, I am afraid I misunderstood the question.I thought you were in doubt about the Glock pistols and was looking for something else to purchase. I am sorry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    royc38--No offense intended. I should have stated my question in a more specific manner. Everything that I have heard about Glocks has been positive. I've been told that they are virtually indestructable and have a friend that experienced something terrible but his Glock stood up to it (shooting handloads he bought at a gun show and getting a round loaded with a double-charge).